Lt.Robert K.Ashford..Pilot,son,brother

doyler

After coming back and looking at the complete group, I agree that it is truly a humbling group. The engraving on the PH/AM is beautiful.

Philip

Kurt Barickman

Wow, nice pickup Ron. You certainly have a nose for sniffing these out of Iowa!! Congrats and thanks for posting. Missed you at St. Paul a couple of weekends ago.

Kurt

Wow, nice pickup Ron. You certainly have a nose for sniffing these out of Iowa!! Congrats and thanks for posting. Missed you at St. Paul a couple of weekends ago.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt.

The group kinda found me ;)

Thanks for looking

After coming back and looking at the complete group, I agree that it is truly a humbling group. The engraving on the PH/AM is beautiful.

Philip

Phillip

Thanks for coming back for another look. B) The Purple Heart is of the Army Pattern but in the Navy type case.

Johnny Signor

Doyler, can you possibly e mail me a scan of the VF-22 emblem page, I contacted a Ship historian for the unit and he "may " be able to help with colors on the design, if not he still would like a copy for their website page records, thanks !

Johnny

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Ron, don't know how I missed this one, a great tribute to a young life lost too early, thanks for honoring him like this,

Mark

Ron, though I'm surprised I missed this, but thanks for sharing this awesome (and sobering) group. Glad you're keeping this brave flyer's memory alive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
manayunkman
On 10/16/2016 at 5:55 PM, KASTAUFFER said:

I never get tired of seeing this group.

Kurt

Isn’t that the truth!

Thanks for sharing. What an amazing grouping. His parents must have been devastated. And I always think that not knowing would be harder, in a way. 

Don't know what news articles there were, but here are some added things:

image.png.207f0a3a8a7d1cc8ac266e59908993ea.png

image.png.ae375aea7ed27ebd9b39a7f8c5c05fca.png

image.png.fb41d5aa3a7ef97afeab910251fecb87.png

image.png.717035a03dcd7cc4e626bdd97fd1f9a1.png

Miss E... thanks for adding the articles.

I have actually spoken with a friend who grew up knowing the family. His mother and Roberts mother were on the selective service board for their county. He said his mother took over for Mrs Ashford during a point when the Vietnam war was going on. Mrs Ashford said I cant send anynore boys to war and left the board. My friend said they often had dinner with the Ashfords etc. He said he was quite surprised as he was not aware they had lost a son in WW2 as they never spoke of it to him or his parents. My friend served in the Army in the mid 70s in Germany and later became an officer in the USAF. He married a lady from the Philippines and has a home there when he decides to fully retire. The house is at Cebu.... the area Robert was lost.