Lt.Robert K.Ashford..Pilot,son,brother

doyler

There are additional items to post but these are a few of the main items to give you an insight in to Lt Robert Asfords story.I will post more of the photos,letters and things I have as time allows.

Thanks for looking.More to follow.........

A very nice grouping, it is sad how war cut so many young lives short.

Philip

Thanks Phillip

Also tragic in the fact the family had no certainty of his death.The months of waiting and not knowing had to be a heavy burden.Maybe knowing he wasnt coming home but each time a letter arrived there was a flicker of hope.

In one letter the Chaplin of the USS COWPWNS advised the family to write him air mail as it would get to him faster.I think we often dont think of the lack of technology in WW2 compared to today.

the condition of the contents alone speak to the love his family had for this man. You would expect the contents to be a bit neglected looking since it was under the stairs.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

the condition of the contents alone speak to the love his family had for this man. You would expect the contents to be a bit neglected looking since it was under the stairs.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

THanks Mike

THere are a few other items as well.I have a shipping crate sent to his home address and found a letter from 1943 detaiing he was sending some things home as he wouldnt need them where he was going.Also there was another crate at the tag sale they people were suppose to hold for me but sold it.It had a lable on it from a rail road company.I later found the letter from the Naval base in Idaho which corresponded with the crate.THese items were held at this base and were his personal property at the time of his death.They eventually sent the items to the family.Odd there wasnt a uniform to be found.I dont know if the parents donated them or gave them to a good will or catholic charity.

Sad story, but glad to see all of it has stayed together. Got any plans to display it Ron?

Jon

Sometime in the future I may do so.There was a newspaper article I agreed to do on him in 2008 and a few of the items were displayed for the article.

When I was first contacted about the items the auctioneers were tasked with selling the items and asked how they should sell them.They had everything split up and scattered.I explained the collectors point of view stating that if sold as a group it maintained its story and history.If sold piece by piece there would be items that would sell and items that wouldnt as the dealers who attend the tags sale may only but the wings or medals etc.They would not be intrested or really know what significance the paper work would have.The auction company owners talked it over and they decided to keep it as is in one lot.After a few more things were found they asked if I would be intrested in making a offer on the group as they had also asked the estate handlers(bank and lawyers) if it was ok to sell.They were only intreated in settling the estate and gave the green light on the deal.

Very nice grouping to a brave Navy flier Ron!

Thanks Brian

Been a very intrestring group to say the least.Robert had also been trained/attended in one of the first classes to become a photographic reconniasance fighter pilot.I believe he mentions it in one of the letters and this was in 1943.

Doyler,

NOW THAT IS A GROUPING.

I love the information rich aspect of this grouping

Amazing how a pile of paper can become flesh and bone and have an effect on who you are.

Are there any year books from when he was in high school ?

Maybe you could find an old friend of his, some one who might know why the family wouldn't talk about him ?

The historical society might have a year book.

Regardless, you have your hands full with what you have on hand.

WOW! What a group Ron. That's about as complete as they can be. All the paperwork and photos are fantastic!

JD

Thanks JD

I will post a few other pictures when I can.

Im still not clear if his first Air Medal wasnt awarded.The one in the group sent to his parents is engraved for the day he went missing and there is no gold star indicating a previous award for the action in 1943.

Doyler,

NOW THAT IS A GROUPING.

I love the information rich aspect of this grouping

Amazing how a pile of paper can become flesh and bone and have an effect on who you are.

Are there any year books from when he was in high school ?

Maybe you could find an old friend of his, some one who might know why the family wouldn't talk about him ?

The historical society might have a year book.

Regardless, you have your hands full with what you have on hand.

Thanks Manny

Im glad you enjoy this as much as I do.

Your postings of the fantastic groups you have has motivated me to post Roberts things.

Im sure there are year books from his high school.The local library from his county has them.

I do have his graduation book from Pensecola.Its in the wooden crate with a few things I havent posted.I have his dress sword and storage bag as well.He didnt have his name engraved on it but had written his name on the bag.Over the years it has faded but still is barely visible.

WOW, Ron! Pretty special!

pat

Thanks Pat

Glad you have enjoyed this.If you need a better picture of something let me know and I will try.

RD