Raincoat

dfdenizyaran

dfdenizyaran

Hello,

I bought this raincoat a few days ago with some other overcoats. This one does not have the important tag anymore. I can see the stitch marks, but the tag is gone. What is the correct naming of it, how old do you think it is?

Thanks.

Demirhan

img37692.jpg

img3771raincoat.jpg

I'm not so sure Kevin? :think: It appears to have a synthetic-looking sheen. My 50s taupe raincoat is gabardine...rather like pink pants...know what I mean?

I'm not so sure Kevin? :think: It appears to have a synthetic-looking sheen. My 50s taupe raincoat is gabardine...rather like pink pants...know what I mean?

Is yours a EM type raincoat, or is it a officers private purchase OVERCOAT?

Hmmm...it's an officers' coat. I've also got a 60s one in Army Green which is pretty much the same cut. I suppose it depends on your definition of a "raincoat". In WW2 terms it would have been a "rubberized" cotton...like the ones they used to roll up in their packs. The one seen here definitely has a sheen to it like it's made of a synthetic or treated fabric.

Unless the photo is distorting the shade again like an earlie topic we seen on overcoats lol, but having said that the EMs had two coats in the 50s, the OD one with the wool frize liner as a cold weather overcoat, and the Taupe raincoat, check out Stantons Cold War uniforms for more pics of these items.

craig_pickrall

That coat is identical to the one show in the manual TM 10-227 FITTING OF MEN'S UNIFORMS DATED OCTOBER 1967.

dfdenizyaran
Hmmm...it's an officers' coat. I've also got a 60s one in Army Green which is pretty much the same cut. I suppose it depends on your definition of a "raincoat". In WW2 terms it would have been a "rubberized" cotton...like the ones they used to roll up in their packs. The one seen here definitely has a sheen to it like it's made of a synthetic or treated fabric.

The fabric is definitely synthetic as you said, also very thin, almost see-through at some areas, and very light weight. Coated with some brown material from the inside.

Demirhan

post-9511-1349378055.jpg

craig_pickrall

Patches, what about copying those photos here because after the ebay sale is closed the reference will be lost.

Found this, except for the last digit of the last number on the stock number it,s one and the same. Also note that same brownish gumm below the collars on the inside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Korean-Vietna...8-/280682618129

Kevin...you were right, I was wrong! I never associated the term/colour "taupe" with a lightweight nylon raincoat...as I said, I was thinking in terms of the "taupe" gabardine officers' coat I have (with a button-in liner)

I actually have all of Stanton's uniform books...I obviously need to go back to them and refresh my knowledge of raincoats! :lol:

Got the three images, coat proper, nomenclature tag, and size tag. Ian these coats can be real shiny, in one photo in Stanton, a U.S. Army Alaska Band is boarding a AF Transport, while all wear the OD Overcoat, one guy though has the Taupe Raincoat on, you do see the differance.

post-34986-1349401384.jpg

post-34986-1349401392.jpg

post-34986-1349401401.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here is one I picked up today at an estate sale. Mint condition. DSA--Viet Nam era?? What are the additional sleeves on the epaulettes? One pic to follow. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-23634600-1365124906.jpg

post-12790-0-53390500-1365124917.jpg

These taupe coats continued to made issued, purchased and worn up to around 1967, it was around then that the Army did away with the two coats, the OD overcoat for cold weather, and the Taupe Raincoat, the two new ones were the Sage Green if you will, overcoat, and raincoats. So your coat was made in the 60s. The slip on covers on the shoulder loops? I have no idea what they might be for, certainly not to cover any DIs that were worn for security purposes LOL, DIs were unautherized to wear on shoulder loops of overcoats, back in WWII through the present, perhaps just a design feature?

Thanks patches. The covers do come off the shoulder loops, but being a Navy guy myself, I don't have a clue why or what for. Thanks again for the info on the transition dates. Al.

Thanks patches. The covers do come off the shoulder loops, but being a Navy guy myself, I don't have a clue why or what for. Thanks again for the info on the transition dates. Al.

Yeah, I really don't know if these slip ons served any utility, they just as well might of been a design, for lack of a better word, Embellishment, perhaps copying the current styles of fashionable civilian items of this type. One does see them on the Taupe EM raincoats, and the Officers issue Taupe raincoats and Taupe overcoats, I would imagine these slip ons could even be seen private purchase Officers heavy overcoats and raincoats, check out Stanton's Uniforms of the Korean War and Cold War to see these examples with the slip on loops.