WWII Tanker Signal Equipment

Armed 2 tha Teeth

Armed 2 tha Teeth

I am working on a tanker display and I am trying to figure out what would be correct for tanker crewmen and a commanders during 1945. I believe that crewmen should have HS-18 headsets and the commander should have the HS-18 headset and a T-17-B microphone.

What communication equipment would crewmen use if they were wearing the M1 helmet instead of the M1938 helmet? I've read here that it is unlikely that the HS-16/U headset was used. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=52675

Tankers' helmets were fitted with standard R-14 receivers. I can't recall ever seeing a tanker in an M1 helmet per se...but an M1 shell over the tanker helmet...or sometimes an M3 or, later, the M4A2 flak helmet.

post-8022-1349286056.jpgpost-8022-1349286067.jpg

post-8022-1349286132.jpg

I agree with Ian,

as he has said there the R-14 Head Set was Issued for the M-1938 Tanker Helmet !

with its T-30-S Neck Piece Throat Mic which connected into the SW-141 Tanker Switch then after that the

T-45 Tanker Mouth Piece Mic was developed later on which was a better Noise Blanker Mic than is previous T-30 Neck Piece Mic.

I have attached some photos for reference also :thumbsup:

post-11464-1349290739.jpg

post-11464-1349290832.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am busy right now trying to complete a WW2 tanker helmet. I still need a SW-141V switch.

I have found somebody selling SW-141U switches. Is there a difference between /V and /U? Were they both used in tanks or is the /U for aviation?

thanks,

Dan

Here is the talker switch with both the leather and cotton cloth lanyards. I am also posting a picture of my tanker helmet decked out with communication gear.

Bob

post-299-0-92037600-1426637750.jpg

post-299-0-62495000-1426637791.jpg

Hi,

I am busy right now trying to complete a WW2 tanker helmet. I still need a SW-141V switch.

I have found somebody selling SW-141U switches. Is there a difference between /V and /U? Were they both used in tanks or is the /U for aviation?

thanks,

Dan

I think the /V and /U stand for the different makers of this switch(?).

Erwin

As an alternative to the HS-18 and SW-141, some tank crewmen used the HS-30. Creighton Abrams (pictured below) used this headset. I’m not sure why he favored it.

post-105245-0-19042500-1426684731.jpg

post-105245-0-17562500-1426684738.jpg

post-105245-0-94828800-1426684745.jpg

Somewhere I've seen a better photo of LTC Abrams wearing an HS-30, but I can't locate it at the moment. Here's painting however.

post-105245-0-32518100-1426684973.jpg

Johan Willaert

Picture is from the 2005 Czech book: And along came freedom

Caption of the picture says it's 4AD in Strakonice, May 6th, 1945

Here is the talker switch with both the leather and cotton cloth lanyards. I am also posting a picture of my tanker helmet decked out with communication gear.

Bob

Thank you for your reply Bob. Very nice display :)

But my question still stands: is there a difference between a SW-141V and a SW-141U?

thanks,

Dan

Thank you for your reply Bob. Very nice display :)

But my question still stands: is there a difference between a SW-141V and a SW-141U?

thanks,

Dan

Dan, there is no difference. The letters indicate the mfg. I used to know who the various letters stand for , but there's a bunch of them. They use the same letter code on the throat mics so if you see one in a box you'll be able to tell. -- Breezy

I think the /V and /U stand for the different makers of this switch(?).

Erwin

Your question was answered.

Maybe I should not have added the (?).

Erwin

Dan, there is no difference. The letters indicate the mfg. I used to know who the various letters stand for , but there's a bunch of them. They use the same letter code on the throat mics so if you see one in a box you'll be able to tell. -- Breezy

Thanks Breezy and Erwin.

Sorry Erwin, I misinterpreted your answer due to the (?) :blush:

Browninggunner688

I have a little lisf of letter codes that I have gathered up over the years, they are for the T 30 throat mic, but from what I can gather the same letter code is used on different items of kit, I could be wrong though.

A- Western electric co, inc

B- Western electric co, inc

C- Micro Co, Univ CA

F- Western electric co, inc

H- Kellogg

M- Universal microphone Co

Q- Western electric co, inc

R- Kellogg

S- Universal microphone co

V- Shure Bros

As I said these are for the T-30 throat mic, I can't find any information about the missing codes, or whether these were even produced

with the missing codes, maybe some one has this information.

Nice set ups by the way, wish mine were not packed away so I could post some pics.

Nick.

Yes, that's the list I was looking for too and I am positive these codes were used on other equipment - like the SW141 - too.

The SW141 in my collection have the "V".

I think I have seen the switches without the code as well.

Erwin