Anyone want to play Whatsit?

hawkdriver

Today, we were cleaning out one of the supply room closets and I saw something go wizzing into the trash can. I reverted to my old dumpster diving mode and came back up with this. Anyone know what it is?

2z68mja.jpg

1ootgz.jpg

23wwd1e.jpg

While pulling out the first item, I also swam past this thing. If you were in the military 15 years ago or more and don't recognize this, you were blind. A staple of every supply room.

16ga36.jpg

2r5rybt.jpg

The punch was hiding in a drawer that I had worked out of for some years, but the way it was positioned in the drawer, I never noticed what it was, I thought it was part of the grommet punch it was next to. Funny what you find right in front of your face.

The punch was hiding in a drawer that I had worked out of for some years, but the way it was positioned in the drawer, I never noticed what it was, I thought it was part of the grommet punch it was next to. Funny what you find right in front of your face.

Very cool piece and a great way to come upon it, Nice find. :thumbsup:

Nice label maker..

Had them in our Platoon Sergeant's Office. Used to mark the binders of white note books with the number of the Field Manual (s) in the binder..

Leigh

Nice label maker..

Had them in our Platoon Sergeant's Office. Used to mark the binders of white note books with the number of the Field Manual (s) in the binder..

Leigh

And after a few weeks in hot humid weather, all the labels were laying on the floor. :pinch:

And after a few weeks in hot humid weather, all the labels were laying on the floor. :pinch:

But the sticky glue was still on the binders.... :thumbdown:

Garandomatic

I was close. I thought it might be the punch that bends the pieces of the LTD snap together, but it being a punch to make holes for them makes more sense. That'd be a pretty handy tool to have for some of us, I bet.

I still use one of those lable makers quite often. Mostly to lable the 3 ring binders I keep my cloth insignia in. If you need to change a lable for some reason and the old one has left adhesive residue on the surface, a wipe with a paper towel and some paint thinner, or lighter fluid takes the sticky right off. You can still order tape for these things too! :thumbsup:

I still use one of those lable makers quite often. Mostly to lable the 3 ring binders I keep my cloth insignia in. If you need to change a lable for some reason and the old one has left adhesive residue on the surface, a wipe with a paper towel and some paint thinner, or lighter fluid takes the sticky right off. You can still order tape for these things too! :thumbsup:

Are you serious? I would think that it would be hard to even find the label tape for these anymore.

While pulling out the first item, I also swam past this thing. If you were in the military 15 years ago or more and don't recognize this, you were blind. A staple of every supply room.

Revealing my age, our hangar office had one with a metal handle/grip which printed somewhat large letters. We could always tell when the clerk had time on his hands - a lot of stuff got labels which was never intended to be labelled and of course, as Bugme related, in high humidity every summer, most of them fell off. It was a natural selection process, because the really important labels got put back on using clear tape.

You can still order tape for these things too! :thumbsup:

Where? I would like to see about getting some. Time for some period recreations.

The label maker was a staple of every ICBM crew member that I know. We used to make index tabs for our checklists in our TO's with them.

Are you serious? I would think that it would be hard to even find the label tape for these anymore.

Yep, I'm serious. I order the tape from a local office supply store and can get it in several different colors.

Having them fall off because of humidity is not a problem here in West Texas. It's dry most of the time and the house is climate controled. Sometimes, I end up with old tape and they wont stick too well, but most of the time the stuff still works pretty well. I also have a Brothers lable maker that uses a different system and it's "computerized", but I still like the old fashioned lable maker tape the best.

Just becuse something is "obsolete", doesn't mean it wont still do the job. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...