ROTC UNIFORMS

BEAST

• 3 months later...

Just an FYI, I stumbled across this link while searching for something else. Looking further, I found a few more as well. I guess there are others out there: http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/arotcribs.php http://web.mit.edu/armyrotc/ribbons.html http://www.purdue.edu/armyrotc/awards.php I'd completely forgotten about all the "commander's discression" ribbons. I had to go back and look at my old ROTC ribbon rack to see what's on it. Apparently, they handed me te wrong ones because I don't have a CTLT ribbon which I should have, and I have two different academic ribbons (I only had a 2.9 GPA, but that was well more than most of the guys in my class). We never paid much attention to the ribbons at the time, realizing whatever we were awarded, it wouldn't carry over to active service anyway.

• 1 year later...
post-203-1202877625.jpg

post-203-1202877732.jpg

post-203-1202877776.jpg

Good morning BEAST. Greetings from a former Hoosier (South Bend). Great uniforms from IU and Purdue (wife's an ulum). I have what looks like a similar torch collar insignia. See attached pics. Do you have any idea of the era that this type was used? Thanks, Al Hrschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1299853554.jpg

post-12790-1299853568.jpg

Picked this up years ago. Have no idea as to what school or period. I assumed it was WW2 period based on the cut and material. No date but named to a J.P. Slovac.

Often wondered if he was related to Eddy Slovac of WW2 fame for being the soldier executed by the army for desertion. At any rate any ideas, comments etc would be appreciated as to school or period.

Terry

post-6022-1299856732.jpg

post-6022-1299856754.jpg

Picked this up years ago. Have no idea as to what school or period. I assumed it was WW2 period based on the cut and material. No date but named to a J.P. Slovac.

Often wondered if he was related to Eddy Slovac of WW2 fame for being the soldier executed by the army for desertion. At any rate any ideas, comments etc would be appreciated as to school or period.

Terry

post-6022-1299856833.jpg

I forgot to ask when I first submitted this post. Does anyone know what the button hole on the left lapel is for? I did not find a corresponding button.

Look under the collar/lapel area to see if it has been pieced together -- I suspect it is a converted high collar WW1 style.

G

I have a handful of ROTC uniforms and I hauled out the couple I could get my hands on quickly to post here. The two from Staunton MA have been posted previously several months ago under new acquisitions.

This first one looks like a pre-WW-II stule uniform. It has lapel brass RO and TC letters on the opper lapels and infantry X's rifles with DI or D1 on the lower lapels....they're all sew on type. It comes with a matching pair of riding breeches but since there's nothing unique about them, I didn't bother to photograph them. I don't know what university or military school it's from....perhaps a Forum member cab help with that. It has a nice standard Sam Browne belt and a ROTC ribbon with a bunch of stars but I don't know what it's for.

post-1107-1299858230.jpg

post-1107-1299858235.jpg

This one I'm not absolutely sure if it's ROTC or Ohio militia, or something else. I think it's probably late 20s or 30s vintage but not sure. It's blue, almost the identical color to the standard Army dress blues. It came with a white belt and brass buckle that looks identical to a Marine dress blues belt, and matching lace-calf blue riding breeches. It has a wool circular 2-piece patch on the right shoulder that's red on top and blue on the bottom, which indicates, to me, Ohio. It has red corporal stripes that look like standard Army type to me on the sleeves (could also be an ROTC rank, I guess) and the white/silver star patch on the lower right sleeve, often seen on ROTC uniforms. I took a close-up of one of the buttons. They are a bronzy color buttons with the Ohio crest on them. They are brass but look like the bronze color was painted on. Any comments on this one are also welcome.

post-1107-1299859088.jpg

post-1107-1299859093.jpg

post-1107-1299859100.jpg

This one looks like early WW-II vintage. In fact, it was probably previously issued to an officer as there are shadows of officer's cuff braid on the lower sleeves. There are no trousers with this one. It has US insignia on the upper lapels with ROTC overlaid on them. Lower lapel insignia are artillery officer's X'd cannons with OSU around the cannons....could be for Ohio State, Oregon State or ???? All of the insignia are early screw-back type. About the only other thing I can say about this one is that it has the Sam Browne brass belt hooks in standard locations on the waist and the usual ROTC star (white with a very slihgt bluish tint) on the lower right sleeve.

post-1107-1299859427.jpg

post-1107-1299859432.jpg

post-1107-1299859437.jpg

This is one of the Staunton Military Academy uniforms that I acquired together. They are both named to a JD Cleavenger. I contacted Staunton Military Academy and they confirmed he attended. They advised that he was later killed in an auto accident.

post-1107-1299859679.jpg

post-1107-1299859686.jpg

post-1107-1299859744.jpg

And here's Cleavenger's other Staunton Military Academy uniform. This one has moth damage, mostly to the sleeve.

Looks like only two will fit so I'll post the other two on a follow-up.

post-1107-1299859873.jpg

post-1107-1299859879.jpg

.........and the last two pix of the second Cleavenger uniform. I think I have 1 or 2 other ROTC uniforms but they 're not in the basement and must be in our storage locker so that's about it for my ROTC uniforms.

post-1107-1299860014.jpg

post-1107-1299860019.jpg

I have a handful of ROTC uniforms and I hauled out the couple I could get my hands on quickly to post here. The two from Staunton MA have been posted previously several months ago under new acquisitions.

This first one looks like a pre-WW-II stule uniform. It has lapel brass RO and TC letters on the opper lapels and infantry X's rifles with DI or D1 on the lower lapels....they're all sew on type. It comes with a matching pair of riding breeches but since there's nothing unique about them, I didn't bother to photograph them. I don't know what university or military school it's from....perhaps a Forum member cab help with that. It has a nice standard Sam Browne belt and a ROTC ribbon with a bunch of stars but I don't know what it's for.

post-1107-1299858230.jpg

post-1107-1299858235.jpg

I tried to add this via edit but when I came back to the post, I could no longer edit it. The pictures don't show it well but there is a pair of rank insignia on the shoulders. They are a brass disc. I don't know what that signifies. Anyway, here's a close up picture of one of the "rank" insignia.

post-1107-1299860958.jpg

Good morning BEAST. Greetings from a former Hoosier (South Bend). Great uniforms from IU and Purdue (wife's an ulum). I have what looks like a similar torch collar insignia. See attached pics. Do you have any idea of the era that this type was used? Thanks, Al Hrschler in Dallas.

Hi Al,

Thanks for posting this disk. I believe that it is from the 1930's/early 1940s, but I will take a closer look at mine when I get home tonight.

• 5 years later...

Bumping this old thread to add what may be a Purdue ROTC uniform (that's what the tag says). Any thoughts appreciated, cap needs some TLC as the front strap has been replaced with a length of ribbon.

post-32676-0-12176300-1485027865_thumb.jpg

post-32676-0-87085000-1485027890.jpg

attachicon.gifUNK_ROTC1.JPG

attachicon.gifUNK_ROTC2.JPG

The red/blue ribbon w/five stars indicates the cadet was a member of the Scabbard and Blade Society, an honorary for senior Army and Navy ROTC cadets/midshipmen.