ROTC UNIFORMS

BEAST

To complement the discussion of ROTC insignia, I thought I would post some ROTC uniforms. If you have any, please feel free to post them!

The first uniform is a WWI era uniform and hat from Purdue University.

post-203-1202876998.jpg

post-203-1202877008.jpg

post-203-1202877014.jpg

Next is Cadet Major's coat from Indiana University. The blue vertical stripe indicates that he has completed either an ROTC camp or an Citizens Military Training Camp.

post-203-1202877507.jpg

post-203-1202877514.jpg

post-203-1202877530.jpg

post-203-1202877574.jpg

Here is the only ROTC uniform in my collection. I bought this at the local flea market for $5. Normally, I would pass dress uniforms by, but this one came from the Kentucky Military Institute. This one dates from the early 1950's. Perhaps one of the most complete ROTC uniforms I've seen before. Probably not worth much, but I would never sell it.

ky_001.jpg

ky_002.jpg

Next is Cadet Major's coat from Indiana University. The blue vertical stripe indicates that he has completed either an ROTC camp or an Citizens Military Training Camp.

post-203-1202877507.jpg

post-203-1202877514.jpg

post-203-1202877530.jpg

post-203-1202877574.jpg

I forgot to ask when I first submitted this post. Does anyone know what the button hole on the left lapel is for? I did not find a corresponding button.

Some great examples you have there. Do you have any of the history on them?

Gary

Hi Gary,

As for mine, I have contacted the university and had limited success. Unfortunetly, I have not been able to find any other military service for these men. But ut has been awhile since I tried, maybe it's time to look again.

Good timing on this thread, I just posted the U of M ROTC uniform I bought yesterday. I'll throw a few pics in this thread too for future reference. Were all ROTC uniforms privately purchased/tailored (as mine is)? Can anyone date this coat for me, I don't know squat about interwar uniforms (which I am assuming this is). THanks so much, this is a very interesting and new topic for me.

post-1095-1203381506.jpg

post-1095-1203381515.jpg

post-1095-1203381528.jpg

post-1095-1203381539.jpg

post-1095-1203381553.jpg

post-1095-1203381562.jpg

Here is a WWI style tunic I picked up a few months back.

Someone identified it as being an ROTC tunic.

It also came with the pants.

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff!

I know this thread is about much older ROTC stuff, but it almost makes me wish I'd saved my ROTC uniforms (Army, Florida State University, class of 1998), but at the time I was dying to get rid of everything associated with ROTC. It's something you want to move on from as soon as you can when you're in it as there's a stigma to being a "KAY-det." I still have the ribbon rack (I couldn't tell you what any of them mean now), my rifle expert medal I never got to wear again once I became an officer, a cadre t-shirt from when I was doing recruiting my last summer as a cadet, and my ROTC camp yearbook. I don't think I have anything else but a few photos from that time, not even the subdued ROTC patches I had on my BDUs. I'd scan and post the pics, but it's pretty much the same stuff you could see at any university these days as I'm pretty sure they're still wearing woodland BDUs at many schools right now. I see plenty of ROTC cadets each summer as I'm very close to Ft Lewis where they have summer camp each year for all Army cadets.

Bringing this back to the top incase anyone has info

on this ROTC WWI style tunic.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Given the Pettibone/Cincinnati label and the letters "UC", I would bet that it was for University of Cincinnati. I think the school colors are red and black.

G

Thanks Gil,

I got the tunic and pants last summer .

The uniform got me inspired to start collecting US WWI uniforms.

Something that I put off for years ...

I was also a member of the ROTC Air Force branch 82-84 .

nkomo

I do not what to question your fine uniform, but, could you be off on the date of the Kentucky uniform? I do not believe that type of MP brassard came from the mid 1950s. The 1959 army uniform regulations, AR670-5 still called for brassards without the extension (the extension with the ROTC patch). I have a couple of MP brassards with early extensions from the mid 1960s but the style is different and I have not seen one of these before 1965 or 1966. I would put your MP brassard from no earlier than 1966 or 1967. I do not have an the 1966 AR 670-5 to check what brassard that was authorized but do have the 1968 AR 670-5 which allowed the style you have. I do have a fair collection of MP brassards, but I am not really an expert and could be wrong on the dates.

Bill

Darktrooper
nkomo

I do not what to question your fine uniform, but, could you be off on the date of the Kentucky uniform? I do not believe that type of MP brassard came from the mid 1950s. The 1959 army uniform regulations, AR670-5 still called for brassards without the extension (the extension with the ROTC patch). I have a couple of MP brassards with early extensions from the mid 1960s but the style is different and I have not seen one of these before 1965 or 1966. I would put your MP brassard from no earlier than 1966 or 1967. I do not have an the 1966 AR 670-5 to check what brassard that was authorized but do have the 1968 AR 670-5 which allowed the style you have. I do have a fair collection of MP brassards, but I am not really an expert and could be wrong on the dates.

Bill

I have a few early extended brassards, one from a guy who was an MP in the Korean war with the 4th Armored Div.

Also there are pics of the early extended brassards in use in Germany in the mid 50's.

Although the shown style was in use in the mid 60's on. It is not uncommon for military schools to have uniforms made and then re-use them over the years.

Darktrooper

Thank you for your expert information. I have not been able to lock down the dates of issue for many brassard.

I do have extended brassards that appear locally made. However some of early hook and eye types appear to be standardized. The later 1968 type so closely resembles the WWII type in construction and quality that they seem to be linked while the hook and eye type seems out of place. Do you believe the hook and eye type were government issued or locally obtained?

Thanks

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a pice of headgear to go with the pre-WWII ROTC uniforms. I bought this hat from a gentleman who wore it while he was in the ROTC program at the University of Illinois in the late 1930s. It is a better quality, private purchase, enlistman's hat with ROTC device.

post-203-1207133875.jpg

post-203-1207134233.jpg

• 9 months later...

I picked this ROTC jacket up a few weeks back. It is dated 1932 and is from Manlius School in NY. Manilus School is a small military academy with roots back to just after the Civil War.

I added the belt for the photo. One can see the wear pattern on the jacket showing a leather belt was worn. (However, without the shoulder strap.) You can also see where single-post collar insignia were worn on the lapels. Any ideas what insignia would be proper for a 1930's ROTC jacket? The buttons are what came on the jacket when it came to me.

Any guidance/comments would be appreciated.

Tom thumbsup.gif

post-81-1231544211.jpg

post-81-1231544219.jpg