G1 Flight Jacket

gap

Trying to ascertain an approximate date of manufacture for a G1 flight jacket. Mil-J-7823C (WEP), DSA 1-9366, Ralph Edwards Sportswear. Thanks.

Im guessing with out the two digit year date in the DSA its an early 60s jacket,1965 or earlier

USN punched in the wind flap or painted under the collar??

Im guessing with out the two digit year date in the DSA its an early 60s jacket,1965 or earlier

USN punched in the wind flap or painted under the collar??

USN is punched in the wind flap. I'll try to post some pix later tonight.

Trying to ascertain an approximate date of manufacture for a G1 flight jacket. Mil-J-7823C (WEP), DSA 1-9366, Ralph Edwards Sportswear. Thanks.

This MIL# dates it between 1962 and 1966 for manufacturing dates.

That matches the contract date given on the Japanese website link, as posted above.

I know, was trying to narrow down the year though. I'm thinking '65 or '66 based on some quick research.

I know, was trying to narrow down the year though. I'm thinking '65 or '66 based on some quick research.

Ah...ok. You know the provenance...does that mean you know the veteran who was issued the jacket? If so, you might be able to deduce that from the time he reported to his first squadron assignment (when most aviators are issued these), provided you have access to his service records. From there, it is deduction and estimation as to the date of manufacturing. How long was the jacket in the supply chain? Was it previously issued to another flyer (this did happen)? It is hard to pin point that beyond a shadow of doubt.

Are there patches on the jacket? I'd love to see those photos when you get a chance.

The Vintage Leather Jackets website was awesome, narrowed down the date to fiscal year 1965 (6/64-7/65). Here are some pix, quality is not that great due to lighting issues.

post-51748-1349356278.jpg

It's in fine shape...and eminently wearable being a good size! I've got a near identical one with a '61 contract date. The 60s vintage examples with their 100% mouton collars are much nicer than the later ones with faux-fur collars IMHO.

• 2 months later...