WWII 41st Division Jungleers Service Coat Swap Meet Find

uplandmod

Hello,

I've been buying a lot of reference material of late so I haven't picked up too much in way of USMC items.

But I did head over to a local swap meet and bough this from a dealer.

A very nice 41st Infantry Division Sergeants Coat complete with a very nice wool patch.

The best part is it has two names in the coat. One I was able to figure out very quickly as it had his serial number that matched the National Archives database. He's listed as a private in the Air Corp so it doesn't match what is on the coat.

But who I think the owner of the jacket who matches the patches is the name in the second picture. I can't quite figure it out due to his cursive writing and unusual last name.

Anybody can help me with IDing this one? Any body have the 41st Division Roster book to look it up?

It's very cool I found an IDed Pacific Campaign Army uniform to go along with my USMC collection.

Any help greatly appreciated on this one.

post-20589-1349104559.jpg

post-20589-1349104567.jpg

It's been a nightmare with this one:

Nicason

Nieason

Rieason

Ricason

not to mention all with an "M" added to the end.

Either way none of these names seem to get ant hits on anything.

And is it:

E.J.

E.D.

C.D.

C.J.

I'm hoping somebody might have the 41st Division Book that might have the complete Roster.

Leonardo

This jacket looks very early war in cut, with the stripes, and the patch.....also a lot of overseas bars. When you look for this guy in the NARA database, I would not be surprised if his serial number starts with a 2....National Guard called to AD. Just a thought, hope you find something!

This jacket looks very early war in cut, with the stripes, and the patch.....also a lot of overseas bars. When you look for this guy in the NARA database, I would not be surprised if his serial number starts with a 2....National Guard called to AD. Just a thought, hope you find something!

Thanks any insight into this is helpful. I mostly research Navy and USMC so locating an Army record is a bit harder for me.

LF

Looks like E. ? Measom to me. Really hard to tell.

Nice both Measom and Meason have both have many more hits than the previous names.

Amazon has the 41st Division book but not sure if it lists the Rosters or not.

Somebody here must have that book....

Thank you

Leonardo

Division history printed after the war only has a role of honor. No rosters

Thanks Captaxe and 3D Driver for that info on the Division History book.

Leonardo

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Always have to go back to this one, always nice to take a break but this week I did some more sleuthing

I did some "?" replacement letters on this coat and found out there wasn't any names that end with an "M" with the different variations of letter substitutions.

There is the name Nieason that I did find on Ancestry but it must me a rare name none appeared on Find a Grave.

I'm thinking this Soldier changed his name to another name after the war, either to Nelson or Nillson which seems to be variations of the name.

​Until a Roster of the Division pops up it looks like I will have to put this back in the closet again.

LF