One Of A Kind WWI or before California Guard Uniform

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

So today at our monthly military show, this uniform was on a table. Let me start by saying I used to collect anything to do with California State militaria, and I have never seen anything like this before.

Cut like a WWI wool uniform. Four pocket blouse with a high collar, plus breaches. The uniform is dark blue, but super high quality, and the wool is really soft. Has Infantry officers brass and California Guard (CG) brass. All the buttons are black California state.

Also included is his visor hat. All the clothing parts and hat were made by Desmond's which was a Men's higher end clothing store. You will see wool shirts and M-41's made by them in WWII.

Has anyone ever seen another uniform like this?

ca1.jpg

ca2.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Most likely a cadet/military school uniform. Most of the home guard units wore a mixture of M1902 uniforms, or regular Doughboy OD tunics. All home guard uniforms I've ever encountered have been OD with satae devices and state or federal buttons.

John

Great score and to get it all together is even better.

Did local Guard units have their own uniform ?

Is it named at all ?

I really like this set.

M

• 1 year later...

The California Home Guard wore grey versions of the standard uniform during WWI after the National Guard was mobilized. But I have never seen the service hat before. All of the photos I have seen show them wearing campaign hats. Now there was a private military society that had no official tie to the National Guard and they were known as the California Grey's. I suspect that this is one of those uniforms.

Dan Sebby, SGM

Post Historian, Camp San Luis Obispo