WW1 Sterling Pilot Wing with attached device? What is it?

Guest randyB26

Guest randyB26

Hi all, I bought these wings about 15 years ago and allways thought they were right but after seeing some of the fakes/repos (the ghost of house of swords past) around I am starting to scratch my head a bit. Also, it had a feature that I never could figure out and thought some of you smart guys might be able to explain. The wing is 3 1/8" long, heavy strike with nice sharp edges, nice feather detail, dark tarnish patina, the U and S look like they are part of the shield with tiny traces of a gilt or gold plate but may have been added, fine horizontal lines on the surface of the U and S, fine vertical lines in the recessed stripes on the shield, has this funny torch(?) broom(?) bundle of sticks(?) between the U and S, no maker hallmark on the back, stamped straight line STERLING, heavy T pin with a straight entry catch. Anyway, that is all I know...which is not to much. I'll add another post with a pic of the back.

post-2507-1202851654.jpg

Maybe they are Ms. Clinton's "Broom Pilot" wings?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I can't help on a real idea either.

Interesting wings at any rate.

"House of Swords", what a night mare!

BKW

If what you say is correct, and the US is part of the wing, and not separately applied in gold (note that they are done in the cliche' style, but there is no corresponding impression of the "US" in the back) then they are probably a reproduction that has been "sharpened up" by having the edges chased.

The torch is most likely supposed to indicate a "Fighting Observer" pilot which had as a design a gold torch behind a gold superimposed shield, or possibly it is meant to represent a "torch of knowledge" ostensibly then the intent was for an "instructor" pilot.

They do exhibit some good qualities, and honestly, this one is a tough call. But my main judgement is based on your statement that the US is integral, and not separately applied. The pin looks to be a proper "fat" pin, how far does it open? Does it swing out the full 180 degrees, or does it only open around 90? Although a drop in, the catch looks like a Bailey Banks and Biddle, which is correct for the period, but also looks too small for the hefty pin. Just my opinion, but I think a jewler making this wing would have used a heftier clasp.

I would like to see better close ups of the font and back, preferably under bright white light, but at this point, I am leaning toward reproduction.

An interesting pair of wings to be sure. From the pics they appear to be well made, and jewler reworked. They would find a home in my collection, if you decide to move them out. I like the odd balls and home made stuff, they make the experts cringe or stomp thier feet. and I have never seen an attachment such as that. Dave

Guest randyB26

Well, thanks for the info so far, first, I was not correct in stating that the looked to be part of the shield-looking close with some magnification assistance I could see that the letters were indeed applied-just crud and age made them look to be part of the shield. The pin only swings open about 90 degrees, there is some tiny spots of corrosion on the pin and while the catch may be a bit small it locks the end of the pin tight. I tried some more pics but this is about as close as I can get with my camera.

post-2507-1202935760.jpg

Well, thats sort of a horse of a different color.

Given what you now say, I think they may well be original period wings.

Chris

p.s. I think a gentle cleaning would do these a world of good.

Well, thanks for the info so far, first, I was not correct in stating that the looked to be part of the shield-looking close with some magnification assistance I could see that the letters were indeed applied-just crud and age made them look to be part of the shield. The pin only swings open about 90 degrees, there is some tiny spots of corrosion on the pin and while the catch may be a bit small it locks the end of the pin tight. I tried some more pics but this is about as close as I can get with my camera.