DC National Guard Medals

BMichael

I collect items related to the District of Columbia Militia and National Guard, and am always looking for ones (medals, DIs, and so forth) dating back to the 19th Century that I don't have. Here's one I do have.

This is the DC National Guard Distinguished Service Medal, engraved '12' on the reverse. It dates from the first quarter of the 20th Century. Note the double-wide ribbon. The medal is solid gold. When I retired from DCNG in 1988 I was awarded the DCNG DSM and, at the ceremony, I asked the CG to pin on this one rather than the gold-colored 'pot-metal' medal now presented. The pin sits about half way down the ribbon rather than at the top, and when the CG pinned it on he said it didn't hang right. I said no problem General, just pin it on anyway. :lol:

post-100203-1349026376.jpg

Welcome to the Forum...Here is the one example I have in my collection from the DCNG in the 1930s...

This is a service award for 100 consecutive drills for a Guardsman in the 29th Division MP Company, 1934, along with his DUIs...

P1010026.jpg

That is beautiful! They don't make them like that anymore!

I tried sending you a PM BMichael, but it wouldn't go through. Contact me if you can.

Mike

• 1 month later...

That's a super item. Any interest in selling or swapping? If so, my email is [email protected]

Mike

Welcome to the Forum...Here is the one example I have in my collection from the DCNG in the 1930s...

This is a service award for 100 consecutive drills for a Guardsman in the 29th Division MP Company, 1934, along with his DUIs...

P1010026.jpg

Sorry it took so long to get back to you - email is [email protected]

Mike

That is beautiful! They don't make them like that anymore!

I tried sending you a PM BMichael, but it wouldn't go through. Contact me if you can.

Mike

The DC medal was for service during the war, not necessarily in the war zone. The no-clasp Victory is also appropriate for someone who never enetered the war zone.

Hi Jeff,

That was my only conclusion on it as well, someone that might have came in too late to actually deploy overseas or, served in a role stateside. I was led to believe the D.C. medal meant he had deployed, but then he would have had at least a service clasp IMO.

Tim

• 2 months later...

post-100203-0-80790400-1359380860.jpgpost-100203-0-76797600-1359380874.jpgpost-100203-0-80662100-1359380883.jpg

Here are three more medals from my collection - the District of Columbia Long and Faithful Service Medal with 25 year clasp, and two 19th Century unit awards from the National Rifles. The Long and Faithful Service Medal is Sterling Silver, the two others are gold.

• 1 year later...

I am pleased to say that I just acquired a District of Columbia 25-year Long and Faithful Service Medal in mint condition in 10K gold. I did not know it even existed. The Balfour box contained the name of the awardee - I'm acquiring his records.

post-100203-0-23241400-1399919748.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm currently with the 113th (DC ANG), I love these! Contact the armory sir, there's a museum there if you ever think of donating...Maj. Coward is the curator, and he has a true passion.

Hopefully one day I get to be the Wing Historian!

• 2 months later...

Replying to Ngrovcam - Hi. I spent nearly 17 years as a member of DCNG. Last command was Troop Command. I know Major Coward. When I was OCS Commandant Major General Schwartz was one of my OCs.
My collection of DCNG awards and such is likely the largest and most complete. Email me and I'll send some pictures. [email protected].
By the way, the DCNG Historical Archive has my name on the door.

For those of you interested in DCNG - I have a Facebook page 'DC Militia and National Guard', as well as a Pinterest board 'District of Columbia National Guard Medals & other Militaria'. Enjoy.

• 2 years later...

post-100203-0-51836700-1540068499.png

Recently acquired this 1898 Camp Alger Souvenir medal. Camp Alger existed in the summer of 1898 in Falls Church, VA (area known as Merrifield) to train thousands of soldiers for the Spanish-American War. DC National Guard members were there for the first few days of the encampment.

• 6 months later...

post-100203-0-42978200-1555951929.jpgA couple of recent additions to my collection.

-1899 District of Columbia Public High Schools Cadet Corps 100% Duty medal. The DC Cadet Corps included the Corcoran Cadets, National Fencibles, and the High School Cadets. Each of these units was or became an element of the DC National Guard.Their lineage continues to modern time.

- Screw-back cap insignia for 1st DC Artillery. My records show the 1st Battery, Field Artillery, DCNG was organized June 1906.

- A brass watch fob souvenir of the Army Gettysburg Maneuvers of July 1910. Many units participating in the maneuvers took home similar fobs. You can find some of them for sale on the internet.

post-100203-0-96761900-1555951948.jpg

post-100203-0-89695600-1555951977.jpg

• 2 years later...

I just got this in the mail yesterday. Can't find even a picture of one so I'm going to assume they are not common. Corcoran Cadet Corps 3 Year Service medal from ca 1893. Belonged to W. Laurence Hazard. His 25 Year medal was issued in 1916 so I believe he joined the CCC in 1890 or early 1891.

20220123_165141.jpg

20220123_165134.jpg

20220123_170329.jpg