Ww1 ph with a interesting story

Mr.B

Hi Everyone,

I had the day off today, So I decided to go hit up some local antique malls. I went to one of my favorite ones and was just looking around and came across this interesting PH set.

When I first glanced at it I saw that it had the case and thought it was a ww2 PH. I asked the antique mall person if I could take a closer look at it and she opened the case and I looked at it and come to find out that the man was gassed during ww1 while fighting with the 32nd division C Company 127th Infantry at the Chateau Thierry. He was awarded the PH 26 years after the war. Was this common?

All opinions are greatly appreciated. I am really excited about this

Thanks

Scott

2012-09-28150516_zpsbe55c67e.jpg

2012-09-28150531_zpsc9f9db11.jpg

2012-09-28150613_zps70acec52.jpg

2012-09-28150637_zps06a67067.jpg

Not sure how common it was, but it did happen. Not "uncommon".

The PH looks good to me and great paperwork to go with it.

Nice find.

JimB

Scott,

I know that WWI Veterans received the Purple Heart for being gassed in the war, I do not know the criteria but if the soldier, sailor or marine received a wound chevron than they qualified for the Purple Heart. I'm am sure more knowledgeable members will be able to provide better detail. As for the issue periods I have a few that were issued during and after WW2 and have seen examples issued even later. Congratulations on your find, it is great to get it documented from the start especially one that was issued in WW2 and later.

Regards,

John

Yeah it has a great home. Im really not that heavy of a ww1 collector but I seem to come across it by accident. So I purchase it.

Any more opinions?

Thanks

Scott

I'm of the opinion that this is a very nice piece of history, and that WWI Purple Hearts are especially interesting and unique because so many eligible troops never actually got the medal when it came out or after.

It was not uncommon for someone to receive their Purple Heart from WWI many years later, especially in the World War II years. During World War II, many of the veterans organizations made an active push to get get wounded World War I vets to apply for their Purple Heart medal. I have several in my collection that date from this time period. It was also not uncommon to find a Purple Heart awarded for gas wounds. Its a very nice medal especially with the extra paperwork and information. Nice find.

Take care,

Ed

If Memory serves me correct, the purple heart medal was not produced until the early 1930s. As such, they were then sent out to WW1 vets who qualified. One of the purple heart gurus who know more than I.

If Memory serves me correct, the purple heart medal was not produced until the early 1930s. As such, they were then sent out to WW1 vets who qualified. One of the purple heart gurus who know more than I.
Sorry for the double post!

Thanks everyone for the great replies.

I have learned a lot off of this thread. I didn't know that during ww1 that they never issued the purple heart to people but after.

Thanks a ton

Scott