*** unusual sterling wings ***

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-1348861977.jpg

post-344-1348862006.jpg

I have had these wings some thirty years or so, always considered them to be ' Sterling marked 'sweetheart wings, but with the wealth of knowledge on the forum perhaps there is more to learn about them.

thanks, ken .

Ken...the wing design is in the Egyptian style which was fashionable back in the 20s/30s with the interest in Egyptology following the historic discoveries in Egypt. Tiffany made brooches in this style. I'm sure your wing derives its influence from those.

General Apathy
Ken...the wing design is in the Egyptian style which was fashionable back in the 20s/30s with the interest in Egyptology following the historic discoveries in Egypt. Tiffany made brooches in this style. I'm sure your wing derives its influence from those.

Hi Ian, I was torn between native American Indian designs and what your suggesting with Egyptian themes. :think:

ken

Got da Penny

Sweetheart Wings, I owned a pair with the USN Block letter & anchor. sold them yrs ago on ebay.

still wish i had them back.

Carey

General Apathy
Here's another in that revivalist Egyptian style...this time featuring a scarab motif.

post-8022-1348864059.jpg

Hi Ian, thanks for the comments, suggestions and photo's, this one with the scarab centre is pretty close to the wing shape of the one I have posted.

great pity that it has received little interest, but just about what I predicted before posting.................

ken

General Apathy
Sweetheart Wings, I owned a pair with the USN Block letter & anchor. sold them yrs ago on ebay.

still wish I had them back.

Carey

Hi Carey, thanks for confirming what I already thought that they were sweetheart wings, would have liked to have known if anyone had seen an advert for them in old magazines or such and possibly the maker.

:thumbsup:

ken

Got da Penny

Here is more info i found.

post-633-1349210142.jpg

World War II Navy sweetheart wing is found on page 117 of United States Navy Wings of Gold by Ron Willis and Thomas Carmichael and what is very unusual about this wing is that it is long and thin the wing is actually 2 5/8 by 5/8 but looks longer because of it design. Another interesting fact is that it is sterling and is not gold plated making this an unusual wing for the Navy. Just silver in color as was the original. Also that it is part of a series of four wings with one for the Army, Medical Corp and the Air Corp

Carey

These style sweetheart wings have been discussed on the Forum before. The Egyptian theory as explained by Ian was the general concensus of oppinion last time.

Graham

General Apathy
Here is more info i found.

post-633-1349210142.jpg

World War II Navy sweetheart wing is found on page 117 of United States Navy Wings of Gold by Ron Willis and Thomas Carmichael and what is very unusual about this wing is that it is long and thin the wing is actually 2 5/8 by 5/8 but looks longer because of it design. Another interesting fact is that it is sterling and is not gold plated making this an unusual wing for the Navy. Just silver in color as was the original. Also that it is part of a series of four wings with one for the Army, Medical Corp and the Air Corp

Carey

Hi Carey, thanks for adding the image of the ' USN ' version of the wings, pleased to see those. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Are they 3" wings Ken...or smaller?

Hi Ian, I don't have them to hand at present they are back in the shoebox, but I believe they are a squeak under 3 inches.

ken

General Apathy
These style sweetheart wings have been discussed on the Forum before. The Egyptian theory as explained by Ian was the general concensus of oppinion last time.

Graham

Hi Graham, thanks, must have missed the post your thinking of the first time around.

good meeting you in Normandy this year.

ken

General Apathy

Thanks Ron, ( doyler ) for the link to the dealer site showing several versions of this wing, I liked the one with the AAC wing and prop in the center. Sorry folks, no point in adding the link here as once they are sold or the dealer updates his site then the link will be worthless.

ken