Helmet liner rank insignia

Sabrejet

From 1955 on, the so-called "insignia eyelet" was deleted from production liners. By then, literally millions of liners had been produced. Collectively, that would have amounted an awful lot of brass which, arguably, was a waste of resources because overall the eyelet was rarely used as intended. Any markings applied to liners were usually either painted on or applied as decals, whether rank or unit insignia. However, officers' metal rank insignia specifically for use with liners was produced. Such insignia was full-size but needed to be mounted on a screw-post in order to attach it through the grommet. Some examples can be seen here. (The liner is an unissued Westinghouse)

post-8022-1348858967.jpgpost-8022-1348858959.jpg

Here's a old topic that has these types for sale, it's well over a year ago, but maybe there still up for sale :w00t:

These types would be one's that came out I,m thinking only in the 50s, remembering that it was this period that liners ( Glossed and Decaled up) came into fashion as a popular piece of headgear in Garrison on posts and bases Army wide.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...rt=#entry863434

The Army & Air Force both had screwback enlisted metal chevrons made for helmet liners in the 50's. In all my years collecting insignia, I've never seen these officer screwback rank til now! Thanks for showing these. :thumbsup:

• 9 years later...