1/35 Super Heavy Tank T-28

Proud Kraut

All I can think of is a diorama where the crew is driving that monster toward an LCM and the Navy crew of the boat is runnign toeward it waving their hands, knowing their boat would sink under the weight!

I have seen pictures of that tank coming ashore off a landing craft. Unfortunately I didn't find the website again. BTW has anybody seen pictures of the interior of that tank? I wonder where the driver was seated e.g.?

@SGMGray: What's the meaning of mpg, miles per gallon?

SergeantMajorGray

yea I was making a miles per gallon joke because it probaly got like 3 miles to the gallon being bigger than a king tiger.

More like three gallons to the mile... LOL

Looking good so far... I'm on the fence at whether to pick this up or not... I still have the urge to build Bargain Basement (give me a thumbs up if you get the reference)... but this one is almost too good to pass up. I look forward to watching this come together.

Wayne

Modeler never get annoyed at sleeplessness. There is always something to do, such as tracks. Each track of my T28 contains of 2 halfs and exact 100 tiny parts, I could not find the English term for. So that's another 408 parts for the tracks:

Those are known as guide teeth... they run between the two road wheels to help keep the tracks on the tank.

Wayne

Those are known as guide teeth... they run between the two road wheels to help keep the tracks on the tank.

Wayne

Guide teeth, thank you Wayne!

After assembling of the tank is nearly complete I gave it a first coat of primer today.

comp_S73R0450.jpg

Thank you, Sandlapper!

Shading, lighter shades of OD on the larger areas, darker shades on edges etc. I'm afraid it's barely perceptible on my picture.

comp_S73R0637.jpg

that's progressing nicely, Lars. How would you rate the kit for ease of build? Other than putting together ALL those track links! :o

Terry

that's progressing nicely, Lars. How would you rate the kit for ease of build? Other than putting together ALL those track links! :o

Terry

Hi Terry! I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I understood your question right. There were no single track pieces with this kit.

Lars

1st step of some detail washing. I use MIG thinner for washes mixed with different oil colors. The tracks were airbrushed black. After the black color has dried, I paint the tracks with a mix of different brown oil colors.

Wash.jpg

Your figures in this thread are hilarious, especially that last one!!! This is making me want to pick up this kit now...

Wayne

Hi Terry! I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I understood your question right. There were no single track pieces with this kit.

Lars

my bad Lars. I thought the kit had individual track links.

Terry

Garandomatic

It's very cool to see the stages of paint. I made some model tanks that pleased me, but I always shot them OD and then went nuts with grime washes and dry brushed acrylic.

Your figures in this thread are hilarious, especially that last one!!! This is making me want to pick up this kit now...

Wayne

Yes Wayne, go and get you one!!!!

Lars

It's very cool to see the stages of paint. I made some model tanks that pleased me, but I always shot them OD and then went nuts with grime washes and dry brushed acrylic.

Did you post some of your models before? Would like to see what you have, c'mon start your thread now!

Lars

Meanwhile the crew has arrived (actually the T28 had a crew of 4). MiniArt issued some nice U.S. tank crew kits the last years e.g. the "Close-Combat Crew Kit". The one I choosed has a more "peacefull look", just right for some prototype trials.

comp_IMG_0146.jpg

Tracks! Everybody has his own way to paint these. After brushing them with matt black paint mine received a washing with red brown acrylics. When the paint was dry, I dabed a mix of grey and orange chalk on the tracks.

comp_S73R0666.jpg

The only thing that would drive me nuts about this model is the HVSS bogies... I have a few HVSS Shermans I've been putting off because of that... Maybe the shermans would be considered practice? LOL Great work so far!

Wayne