Americal Division Uniform

78CARg

I agree nothing wrong with the uniform and I have seen a dozen or so of these uniforms over the years with the 2nd patch sewn on standing or on its side.

The double US discs could be the only ones he had avaiable.Just guessing as a wounded vet he was assigned to The Ports of Embarcation unit and may not had a transpotation disc or unassigned disc so used the US on both sides.If they look like they have left marks in the material I would say they have been there a long time.

Thats what I was thinking Doyler, he was no longer assigned to the branch he was in when he was overseas in the Pacific with the Americal, so wore this US disc in lieu of what I would think would be a Branch Unassigned disc.

bunkerhillburning
Thanks for sharing! That's a really nice piece. I like the placement of the 2nd mar-div patch.

I cant stop staring at the pictures of my purchase. lol While looking at it I noticed the seller posted some new items. I was pretty astonished when this came up:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/109908265/ww2-...ne-uniform-with

il_fullxfull376778700_jvcr_zps690c9fd4.jpg

I don't know who he is, but damn he has some nice items. I'm not an Airborne guy, However I figured someone here would be interested in seeing it.

It was sold by the time I got there and I did not see a price. Do you recall what the seller was asking?

Thats what I was thinking Doyler, he was no longer assigned to the branch he was in when he was overseas in the Pacific with the Americal, so wore this US disc in lieu of what I would think would be a Branch Unassigned disc.

The mail man just dropped it off, the discs are both screw-backs, and judging from the indentation they left, have been on the there for quite some time. I have a torso mannequin on the way as well, so I'm gonna wait till it gets here before I photograph it.

It was sold by the time I got there and I did not see a price. Do you recall what the seller was asking?

I believe it was $449 + 12.95 for shipping

Kurt Barickman

I love it! Have been looking for a Guadalcanal Americal/2nd Marine Division configuration for YEARS!

Kurt Barickman

This one is interesting.

The combat patch is for the Americal Division, many elements of which got a Navy PUC (which it has) for reinforcing the the Marines on Guadalcanal.

Be interesting to know if any of the Americal units were either authorized to or unofficially took it upon themselves to wear the 2nd Marine Division patch.

The uniform obviously shows a Purple Heart ribbon and a Port of Embarkation SSI as well. Could the soldier who owned this have been a wounded Americal vet who served on Guadalcanal and after recovery served in the POE ??

Other issue I see is collar brass; one should be US; the other branch of service, not 2 US.

Hold up--

Just found this:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=37301&hl=

Other Americal uniforms with Marine patches. This is cool. If the price is right I'd grab it!

Normally, I would be the first to question the use of the "US" collar disc on both collars. That being said, I picked up a Service uniform directly from the family that has just that configuration. My assumption was "misassambled." That is until I found a portrait photo of the Vet showing wear of the very same service tunic being worn complete with two "US" discs. The uniform belonged to S/Sgt. Charles T. Myers, 86th Inf. Div. Anothers interesting point of this particular uniform is he had the MUC sewn on the left sleeve over the overseas bars. Old Army addage, "S--t happens." Jack Angolia

Does the 17th ABN patch normally have purple talons? HE has anothe patch FS like that as well. I thought they were usually black in color.

I love it! Have been looking for a Guadalcanal Americal/2nd Marine Division configuration for YEARS!

Kurt Barickman

Thanks! And sorry, but I will be hanging on to this one.

Normally, I would be the first to question the use of the "US" collar disc on both collars. That being said, I picked up a Service uniform directly from the family that has just that configuration. My assumption was "misassambled." That is until I found a portrait photo of the Vet showing wear of the very same service tunic being worn complete with two "US" discs. The uniform belonged to S/Sgt. Charles T. Myers, 86th Inf. Div. Anothers interesting point of this particular uniform is he had the MUC sewn on the left sleeve over the overseas bars. Old Army addage, "S--t happens." Jack Angolia

I wasn't to concerned about the collar discs. I had seen it before, my grandfather wore 2 US discs for a time.

This is his wedding picture. Taken Jan. 8 1945, When this picture was taken he was with his second unit the 591st AAA Bn. The 591st was disbanded 18 days later on the 26th. He was then transferred to the 443rd Chemical Mortar Battalion. So in this picture he should have been wearing a AAA disc. No branch discs were found with his stuff. just 3 US discs, and a pair with the number "78" under the US.

DelbertEArterburnLoisAEinspahrArterburn003_zpsf504785d.jpg

Grandpas insignia that was in a little box in a kitchen drawer.

IM000222_zps9533c43f.jpg

Thanks for reminding me, I meant to look but spaced it off. Just took a look and I don't see any holes.

He would have by the time he wore this coat in 1945 during his discharge, have the CIB, thus he was no doubt in another Branch, Artillery, Engineers?, in any event the wear of the Navy Presendential Unit Citation is most certainly correct even if this man wasn't in an Infantry Regiment, as the entire Americal Division was cited for this decoration for Guadalcanal, meaning that all elements of the Division would be intitled to wear the Navy PUC.

He would have by the time he wore this coat in 1945 during his discharge, have the CIB, thus he was no doubt in another Branch, Artillery, Engineers?, in any event the wear of the Navy Presendential Unit Citation is most certainly correct even if this man wasn't in an Infantry Regiment, as the entire Americal Division was cited for this decoration for Guadalcanal, meaning that all elements of the Division would be intitled to wear the Navy PUC.

I don't know how realistic it is, but I was hoping to be able to narrow down a list of possible men this could belong to using the insignia.

Since we know he wasn't Infantry. That narrows down the list of possible units to these 8

221st Field Artillery Battalion

245th Field Artillery Battalion

246th Field Artillery Battalion

247th Field Artillery Battalion

57th Engineer Combat Battalion

97th Field Artillery Battalion

214th Coast Artillery (United States)

244th Coast Artillery Regiment

Great find.

Off of Etsy ?

I've gotten plenty of uniforms with double US's and double infantry.

I trust your research will prove fruitful.

M

Great find.

Off of Etsy ?

I've gotten plenty of uniforms with double US's and double infantry.

I trust your research will prove fruitful.

M

Thank you!

Yep Etsy, I was pretty surprised to find it there as well. I had no Idea Etsy sold stuff like that till a Google search led me there. A word of warning though there is some messed up stuff on there for instance this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/93831379/antiq...search_type=all

il_fullxfull324736595_zpseef3cae8.jpg

Its a helmet with wrenches welded to it to make it look like a turtle. How someone could look at that and think it was a good idea baffles me.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

My dad welded pipes to his 82nd para helmet and used it for a cooking pot on camping trips. The kids/teenagers who grew up in the Depression would rather make something out of nothing, than buy it from the store. When it burnt through, he chucked it. Afterall, it was just a GD junk helmet! Same guy who talked me out of buying double decal German para helmets with liners/chinstraps for $25 a piece! I can still hear "What do you want that junk from those GD Nazi loosers for?" LOL Could of been on easy street!

John

I have a man's uniform that was one of the original members of the 24th Division. After the war, he was in veteran's affairs, as evidenced by some 24th Div. newsletters. He had the phoenix patch on the left, a Hawaiian Cadre patch on the right, which I think was his idea of what was right as he may have been in the Hawaiian Division that was split up to form the 24th, 25th, and 77th Divisions. His collar brass is double US, as he was no longer in any branch, according to folks on here that assessed it for me a few years ago.

Thanks for sharing! That's a really nice piece. I like the placement of the 2nd mar-div patch.

I cant stop staring at the pictures of my purchase. lol While looking at it I noticed the seller posted some new items. I was pretty astonished when this came up:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/109908265/ww2-...ne-uniform-with

il_fullxfull376778700_jvcr_zps690c9fd4.jpg

I don't know who he is, but damn he has some nice items. I'm not an Airborne guy, However I figured someone here would be interested in seeing it.

I have to extend a huge thanks to the members of this site! If not for them, and the amazing info they posted I would have passed this up as a put together.

Most of you may have seen the other thread I posted about this, but know that I have it in my possession, I wanted to post some better shots. Sadly it is not named, however with some luck and persistence I hope to change that.

DSCN0216.jpgDSCN0225.jpgDSCN0223.jpgDSCN0224.jpgDSCN0221.jpgDSCN0231.jpgDSCN0227.jpg

AAF_Collection

Looks like a laundry number,have you tried looking at it under different lighting? it can often help.

The rest of the coat,patches,ribbons etc have that "been together forever look"!.

That's a beauty alright!

Thanks for the kind words, and all your help!

Looks like a laundry number,have you tried looking at it under different lighting? it can often help.

The rest of the coat,patches,ribbons etc have that "been together forever look"!.

That's what I was thinking as well, but I haven't tried different lighting, thanks for the suggestion!