"Rosie the Riveter" Coverall - Owens Illinois

Nkomo

I have been moving my collection to a larger area. In the process, I have found many uniforms that have been stored away for years and have not been posted to the forum. I found one today that I think you all might like.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I went to an antique store about 30 minutes from my house. That day, the store was having a sidewalk sale type deal and I found this coverall in a clothing pile for the sum of $3. The coverall is from a woman who worked at the local Owens-Illinois plant during WW2. It took me awhile to track it down, but Owens-Illinois was a major supplier of goods for the war effort. They not only made glass, but they also made ammo cans, ammuntion, machinegun links, etc.

Basically, this is a workers coverall that has direct embroidered name (Ferguson) and direct embroidered Owens Ill. on the back. It has red, white, and blue fabric sewn to the pocket in the shape of a V for Victory.

Not sure who manufactured the coverall, as the manufacturers tag on the insidearea is completely washed out from use.

Most of you also know that I am a modern collector, but this piece just "speaks" to me. Believe it or not, this coverall is displayed prominently in my new room. One of my all time favorite uniforms.

001.JPG

kriegsmodell
About 4 or 5 years ago, I went to an antique store about 30 minutes from my house. That day, the store was having a sidewalk sale type deal and I found this coverall in a clothing pile for the sum of $3. The coverall is from a woman who worked at the local Owens-Illinois plant during WW2. It took me awhile to track it down, but Owens-Illinois was a major supplier of goods for the war effort. They not only made glass, but they also made ammo cans, ammuntion, machinegun links, etc.

Great piece Arch! I have a sister in law that worked in management at Owen's Glass. And you are correct in you statement that Owen's made more than glassware. They also made canteens and canteen cups!

That's amazing. I've been seriously collecting since the 80s and I've never seen anything like that for sale before.

I'd bet most of that stuff got used up in back yards, on roofs and around the house after the war.

That's amazing. I've been seriously collecting since the 80s and I've never seen anything like that for sale before.

I'd bet most of that stuff got used up in back yards, on roofs and around the house after the war.

Thanks for the compliment. I also figured a lot of these type garments were used for work after the war and not many survived.

This would make such a neat homefront display on a full mannequin.

I agree 100% and that is why I'm looking for a woman mannequin to display it on.

My grandmother worked in an ammunition factory called Clayton-Lambert during WW2 and was a shell inspector. She would hand inspect the brass shells made for the Navy for their twin mount antiaircraft guns. Her job was to find burrs and other abnormalities. In a way, this coverall reminds me of her.

That's a great piece, museum quality! Sometimes an item really speaks to you and provides a direct connection to another era. This coverall does that.

That's a great piece, museum quality! Sometimes an item really speaks to you and provides a direct connection to another era. This coverall does that.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

What a great homefront item! I have returned to this thread several time to admire these coveralls. I wish I could find a set this good from a factory in Indiana! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The real Rosie:

27.jpg

I love these homefront pictures. USA be proud of your girls.

Thanks for adding the photo, Ken.

What a great homefront item! I have returned to this thread several time to admire these coveralls. I wish I could find a set this good from a factory in Indiana! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Erick!

General Apathy

What a great home-front item! I have returned to this thread several time to admire these coveralls, good choice of words from Erick which I will add an encore to. :thumbsup:

Fifteen years ago I had a WAC pair of o.d. HBT coveralls almost similar to these in straight out the factory condition, never worn, there were extra buttons on the rear drop down, wish I had photographed them before I was sweet talked out of them by a friends wife.

ken

RustyCanteen

I missed this thread, what a very uncommon item!

It is so easy to find a uniform or web belt from a soldier in WWII, but to find something from the people at home working in the factories and shipyards to ensure the supplies that fed the Allied effort never faltered is amazing!

• 3 years later...