Is this a WWI era medal box?

MilitaryWired

I have never had one, so I don't know. I have seen similar ones with D.S.M. or D.S.C. on the lid, but I do not know if that is what this is. There was a piece of Soldier's Medal ribbon inside when I found it. Thank you all in advance for your help.

IMG_9906.JPG

IMG_9909.JPG

IMG_9912.JPG

This looks like an MOH case (see page 41 of "The Call of Duty")

The rosette fits in the indentation of the fabric

Real nice find!!

Bill

dhcoleterracina

A side by side comparison with a DSC box would help. Medal manufacturers made more than just US Military medals, why create new style boxes when the existing styles worked just as well? It could be for a civilian award.

This looks like an MOH case (see page 41 of "The Call of Duty")

The rosette fits in the indentation of the fabric

Real nice find!!

Bill

post-248-1348862310.jpg

Understand it's a MOH case, my question is whether it was solely used to house the MOH or was it used for other decorations as well?

Sal hits a good point - it is possible that it could have been used for early DFC's and Soldier's Medals - however this was the only documentation I could find to answer the question.

Bill

Understand it's a MOH case, my question is whether it was solely used to house the MOH or was it used for other decorations as well?

And if used for other decorations, does that affect the rare or scarce nature of the case aside from simply being an early model case? I think it's a great piece, just asking for my own edification and as a learning point for me

And if used for other decorations, does that affect the rare or scarce nature of the case aside from simply being an early model case? I think it's a great piece, just asking for my own edification and as a learning point for me

Sal - I think that it is what it is until someone proves different - I have not seen enough of the cased DFC's and Soldiers Medals to say that it would work for them also - my opinion is based upon what I see from Strandberg & Bender.

If you can find another decoration that uses this case, that information needs to be shared with the collecting community.

Bill

• 7 months later...
WittWorldWide.com

This was originally intended for the 1904 Pattern Army MoH, and I have seen in a group and UnNamed Original type examples with exactly that in it over the years, but I also had an Early WW2 Soldiers Medal (Officially Named 1942 AAF Action) come out of the woodwork. At the time while researching the piece I owned, I found a picture in Fred Borch's Soldier's Medal book (pg. 29/fig. 24) of exactly that. Joseph Zams (WDGO 1942) holding his Soldier's Medal in the same case.

When I originally saw it on a table at a show I thought DSC, but obviously UnTitled, and the dimensions are different.

As I have mentioned in other threads, many times the QM or local base decorations officer would grab whatever fit, as early on they had limited options, and guessing the UnTitled Cases were meant for dual purposes.

When I get time to dig it out, I'll try post a picture of the SM set I had...

Regards, Rich

MilitaryWired

Rich,

When I received this case I noticed a small cut of ribbon tucked under the pad where the lapel pin is supposed to go. The ribbon was for the Soldier's Medal and it was definitely old... I bet that is what this case was used for. I would love to see some pics of your set!

WittWorldWide.com

Here is a quick 2 images of the SM mentioned, and I'll try to post a more complete story and images on this in a separate link down the road, as it was a pretty interesting research story. 45th Fighter Squad. Pilot for action in the Pacific in August 1942.

RW

RoseSMCasedGrpx.jpg

RoseSMCasedGrpx.jpg