B-15 Jacket for $26 ?????

LTGSANCHEZ

I scored this off ebay just a few minutes ago. I found it at the last minute. I don't own any flight jackets and the few I have seen were A-2s. It looks good in comparison to my references. Zipper is marked CROWN and it has insignia on the sleeve. Did I do well? Usually I post my new acquistions in a constantly updated thread, but I wanted to start a new one for this....

a60a_1.JPG

I scored this off ebay just a few minutes ago. I found it at the last minute. I don't own any flight jackets and the few I have seen were A-2s. It looks good in comparison to my references. Zipper is marked CROWN and it has insignia on the sleeve. Did I do well? Usually I post my new acquistions in a constantly updated thread, but I wanted to start a new one for this....

Considering that even used reproductions can go for $300, that's not a bad deal at all. What was it labeled on Ebay?

It was listed in Men's Vintage Clothing > 1947-64 (Post WWII-Early 60s) > Coats, Jackets, Sweaters

Description:

"My father bought this some time after WWII. Its a faded green ribbed material with fake brown fur collar. Has a "crown" zipper in excellent shape. The cuffing is worn but looks repairable. Has a printed star with wings in a circle on left shoulder. Looks like a size 36. Email me for more pics or questions.

This item is in Tucson. For some reason I can't get the listing location changed.

I will ship fastest way possible after transaction. Insurance is included"

Obscure catergory listings often have the best treasures... Do a search through vintage clothing, look up "signal corp" in the old electronics catergory, or a general "military" search in antiques... You'll find some good stuff once and a while.

I'll post more photos when I get the jacket, from the one photo its probably hard to tell if its repro or not.

vintageproductions

This jacket is a post-war piece that was made for the civilian market. Companies like Montgomery Wards, Sears, Penney's, etc. did lines of men's clothing that looked like military jackets. The two ways to tell on this one is the lining, it shouldn't be satin and the zipper is straight up and down. On a issue one the zipper is always off set to the side.

This jacket is a post-war piece that was made for the civilian market. Companies like Montgomery Wards, Sears, Penney's, etc. did lines of men's clothing that looked like military jackets. The two ways to tell on this one is the lining, it shouldn't be satin and the zipper is straight up and down. On a issue one the zipper is always off set to the side.

Regretfully, he is absolutely right. The big give-away is the straight up-and-down zipper. On originals, the zipper ran to the right side of the neck. About twelve years ago a con artist suckered me into buying a fake. I learned the hard way.

Sorry,

Tom