Jet Age Flight Suit??

Scarecrow

I recently acquired this flight suit from the son of Oscar L. Bond. Bond was a later war P-51 pilot that flew with the 4th and 357th Fighter Groups. After the war he stayed in the USAAF and later the USAF. Since I'm in the main a USAAF collector I am unfamiliar with this flight suit. His son told me the flight suit was his Dad's when he flew F-84's from an AFB in Maine (probably Loring AFB). He said this was issued to his Dad in 1946. I've never seen one like this so was hoping for some help/knowledge from some of our Jet Age forum members. The suit is constructed exactly like a AN-6550 WWII period flight suit except it is a dark midnight blue color. I at first thought it might have been an AN-6550 that was dyed blue but now don't think so since the AAF stencil mark in the back of the suit is still white and most likely would have been obliterated by a dark blue dye. Unfortunately the Spec tag is missing. The suit does have a very nice squadron (?) patch depicting a characterized F-84. Any help identifying this flight suit would be greatly appreciated. Mnay thanks!

Scarecrow

post-23999-1348713893.jpg

post-23999-1348713903.jpg

I'd consider this to be a "transitional" flight suit from the period following the establishment of the USAF when both OD and the new blue uniforms were in the system. I have two unissued D1 flight caps, one blue the other OD. The "new" blue cap is stamped with "ARMY AIR FORCES" whereas the "old" OD cap is stamped with "US AIR FORCE"!! My point is that there was obviously some "confusion" during this transitional period so the fact that your flying suit is marked "ARMY AIR FORCES" is not necessarily indicative of its date of issue. The USAF was formed in '47, the blue uniforms and flight gear followed that date, so I suspect your man was issued that particular flight-suit later than '46. The blue flight gear was relatively short-lived before being replaced with sage-green items. So, even allowing for wear out periods, it's fairly easy to pinpoint the years of issue of blue gear.

post-8022-1348740103.jpg

Thanks Ian! I think you hit the nail on the head. A little research shows that the F-84 wasn't operational until 1947. So this is more than likely, as you mention, a transitional late 1940's flight suit. One of the reasons I acquired it was I really love the patch. Oscar Bond has a very interesting history. From 1954-1957 he was assigned to the 6021st Recon Sqdrn. based at Yokota AFB, Japan. He was one of only three pilots with the 6021st that flew the F-100C on "Recon" (Spy) missioms over Red China and the Soviet Union. This was called Operation "Slick Chick". I also have his later flight suit from the Operation Slick Chick timeframe. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Paul (Scarecrow)

You're welcome Paul...and it's a killer patch! I've got a blue L2 flight suit, identical to the late WW2 pattern apart from its colour and the US Air Force decal printed on the sleeve. Come the "change over" I think they pretty much stuck with tried and tested WW2 designs....if it ain't broke, why fix it? Hence your WW2 pattern blue flight-suit.