Let's see some Pre-WWII USMC Photos

DevilDan1900

Post #2 in my posting career here, and this thread is perfect for this picture I found on the net a while back. I love this style of campaign hat crease in the crown Hope you guys like it too! I'm guessing it's circa 1902-03.

dean

post-22-0-40761900-1400618720.jpg

post-22-0-76081400-1400618722.jpg

Dean: Actually the postcard is dated 1905 and is my collection....it was part of a larger grouping that was broken up by a collector in California. This particular image was taken in Norfolk.

Glad to hear you like it enough to own the original! Maybe you know why the "Montana Peak" became the official peak that replaced the "fore and aft". I much prefer the "fore and aft" crease. I think someone told me it had to do with rain dispersal. Even if it's true, I can't quite appreciate the pointy head style.

dean

DevilDan1900

Great shots. I've always loved the variations in the uniforms, such as post #32 showing some of the Marines wearing cartridge belts and one just wearing his leather garrison belt. The khaki covers they are depicted wearing on their M1895 visor caps are also very interesting. The shoes/boots worn by the two marines in the last studio portrait look like the russett colored M1902 (?) marching shoes with the capped toe.

Great shots. I've always loved the variations in the uniforms, such as post #32 showing some of the Marines wearing cartridge belts and one just wearing his leather garrison belt. The khaki covers they are depicted wearing on their M1895 visor caps are also very interesting. The shoes/boots worn by the two marines in the last studio portrait look like the russett colored M1902 (?) marching shoes with the capped toe.

Creat0006.JPGHere's a couple more. The first looks likes these boyos are ready for some hell-raising Liberty. They just have that look! (I remener it well!) Note the facial hair on the Marine in the rear. He may have had permission not to shave due to a fungus, rash or something. Unusual to see, however.

Creat0006.JPGHere's a couple more. The first looks likes these boyos are ready for some hell-raising Liberty. They just have that look! (I remener it well!) Note the facial hair on the Marine in the rear. He may have had permission not to shave due to a fungus, rash or something. Unusual to see, however.

Nice shot of Marines in their light blue overcoats.

Creat0011.JPG

Bob: Love those pictures...nice to see originals like those! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif I just saw several today at a show from 1904 where several members of the ships guard had beards....the 1912 regs said they could have them....now please tell us if there is any info on each picture....studio name, sizes, PPC or picture. I've got this crazy idea that I'll be able build a database of this type of info...to match stuido's or photograghers with certain detachments and dates they were active...I got a small database on China Marines (studios....paper type, sizes of pictures) and the PI...those images you show are really nice....

Bob: Love those pictures...nice to see originals like those! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif I just saw several today at a show from 1904 where several members of the ships guard had beards....the 1912 regs said they could have them....now please tell us if there is any info on each picture....studio name, sizes, PPC or picture. I've got this crazy idea that I'll be able build a database of this type of info...to match stuido's or photograghers with certain detachments and dates they were active...I got a small database on China Marines (studios....paper type, sizes of pictures) and the PI...those images you show are really nice....

Wasn't aware of that. These pics, which I've owned for many years had been removed from an album. Many of them are trimmed into various shapes. They are mostly PC types and none have any Photographic details. I was able to determine that they were from USS Colorado and found two of the Marines whose last names were present had qualified for the 1st Nicaraguan Campaign - 1911. Sorry for the duplicate postings but I'm still trying to learn to navigate. Here's another.

Creat0021.JPG

duplicate posts of photos this nice worth it.....thanks for sharing....I'll be studying these for several days....I've got a few images of marines on liberty who look a bit worse for wear from the same period.....I should add them to the thread....look at the marine on the right looks like his lining has something on it....could that be a liitle customization?

OK, I wasn't going to show these but since we have a few liberty photos....collar undone...bottom button undone...glassy eyes...out for a night of fun

drunk.JPG

DevilDan1900

Great photos Dirk, you can sure tell they've been out on the town can't you. Some of the marines have that real "deer in the headlights" look.

Here's an interesting real photo postcard, Marines forming a company square. It is postmarked "Paris Island" but I can't make out the date.

post-203-1174225666.jpg

• 6 years later...

Glad I found this old Topic, I found this photo and it fits right in.

A Ships Detachment 1930s or very Early 40s, a unknown Battleship or Cruiser, too bad no name for warship was given.

post-34986-0-77502200-1364591280.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
RustyCanteen

Glad I found this old Topic, I found this photo and it fits right in.

A Ships Detachment 1930s or very Early 40s, a unknown Battleship or Cruiser, too bad no name for warship was given.

attachicon.gifchinos.jpg

Photo credit I found says it was taken by Carl Mydans September 1940, aboard the USS Idaho BB-42 in Hawaiian Waters.