USN Pocket Surgical kit

doyler

Really nice J, a good cross-section of different styles of kit from WWII. I especially like the OD7 case with the OD3 trim, that's a neat transitional item. The WWI kit is awesome too!

Will

Thanks Will. Thats the only transitional one I have come across in the last 10 years or so. The WWI kit I picked up by accident. it was in a WWI field gear lot I picked up at a flea market. I didn't see it until I got home and went through the box of stuff I had bought.

I was also in on the bidding in that auction on Sunday. It was a great item in that the scalpel set was complete. The rest of the contents looks like various dental instruments. The 1912 date on the scalpel box is the patent date; so I don't think that it necessarily dates it as WWI. The case looks like the configuration of the one in the manual for WWII Veterinary officers. See: http://www.med-dept.com/vet_kits.php

I've recently begun collecting Army Veterinary equipment. Can someone educate me as to what are the differences between the WWI pocket cases and the WWII cases?

RelicHunter99
I was also in on the bidding in that auction on Sunday. It was a great item in that the scalpel set was complete. The rest of the contents looks like various dental instruments. The 1912 date on the scalpel box is the patent date; so I don't think that it necessarily dates it as WWI. The case looks like the configuration of the one in the manual for WWII Veterinary officers. See: http://www.med-dept.com/vet_kits.php

I've recently begun collecting Army Veterinary equipment. Can someone educate me as to what are the differences between the WWI pocket cases and the WWII cases?

The markings, snaps and fabric itself will be different.

the owner of this case spent time attached to the Marines,cin WWII

Name: Peter C Ting

Muster Date: Apr 1943

Station: Barracks Detachment, Marine Barracks, Camp Lejeune, New River, Nc

I found elsewhere on the web that he was an entomologist and Camp Lejeune worked in malaria control.

Thanks...great info.Was hoping someone had a listing of him. ;)

found this kit in Wisconsin back in August.

How so? Could you please elaborate?

Compare the WWII case I have pictures of in posts 15/16 with the WWI case shown in posts 17/18. The style of manufacture, the type of snaps used, the style of the markings, and the arangement of the pockets/webbing for tools are all different.