USN Pocket Surgical kit

doyler

Found this a couple weeks ago.One of the more complete ones I have came across.There are two names on the kit.Has needles,surgical silk,shapening stone,various tools.

All comments welcome

post-342-1348551485.jpg

post-342-1348551474.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Hey Ron,

That's a nice one! They're getting harder to find complete that's for sure. Great pick up! :thumbsup:

Will

What year/conflict do you figure this to be from?

I am thinking with the markings on the case WW2 used.

The one that sold on line recently was sold as WW1 era and I recall there were some items dated 1912.The metal tray for the scaple(s) was the same as the one I have.

If I locate the auction link I will post or add a picture.

What year/conflict do you figure this to be from?

Its WWII. Earlier ones have different snaps and markings. Later ones are dark OD.

Yeah, it looks rather different than the standard Officers Pocket case from WW1. Has many more instruments.

Here is mine for example (although missing most instruments, shows the smaller scalpel case and the canvas case is well marked).

http://greatwarcollection.weebly.com/officers-belt-case.html

Very intresting piece.Much like the one I missed on line.Thanks for posting.Feel free to add a picture here.It would be a nice addition for comparison

RelicHunter99
Very intresting piece.Much like the one I missed on line.Thanks for posting.Feel free to add a picture here.It would be a nice addition for comparison

I've been keeping my eye out, but complete WW1 Officers Pocket Cases are like finding a unicorn.

I should have never looked at this thread... I've tried to not get too far branched off from my Medical uniform groupings and helmets but, now after looking at these kits, I want one of these too! Collecting is a drug that only takes you deeper into obsession. :blink:

Corpsmancollector
My WWII USN instrument pocket cases:

post-2035-1349218665.jpg

Really nice J, a good cross-section of different styles of kit from WWII. I especially like the OD7 case with the OD3 trim, that's a neat transitional item. The WWI kit is awesome too!

Will

Corpsmancollector

Hi Rich,

It varies in my experience mate. I have one scalpel set that came with a kit but unfortunately it's missing one or two pieces. I haven't seen many on their own to be honest, but I haven't been actively looking recently...

Will

Here's my one. Are the scapel's in the set easy to pick up as my one never came with any ?

Rich

post-1878-1349265059.jpg

Ya know I see kits without scalpels more than with and I have seldom seen the scalpels on there own. I would like to find a scalpel set for that OD case I have. most of that kit is incomplete.