SCR 625 and AN/PRS-1 mine detector sets

Richard

Hello,

Does anybody recognize the following plate? It's attached to the BC-1140 control box of a SCR-625 mine detector. This plate is unknown to me.

cimg0586pp8.th.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Richard

Well, I've never seen one. All of the SCR-625 detectors that I've ever seen had Signal Corps data plates, not Engineer Corps. I like it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked up a backpack type bag today and it turned out to be for the SCR-625's controller. It has the stencil "BG-151-H" so it may be for the SCR-65(H). I haven't taken any photos yet but here's one in an old Army photo:

scr625pack.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Could any one tell me about the set up for the above sets, how successful they were during the war and additional equipment used to set up a display (apart from the mines). I have also seen the SCR625 shortened version, can any one enlighten. I am also after the two manuals for the above if any one has either for sale.

Could any one tell me about the set up for the above sets, how successful they were during the war and additional equipment used to set up a display (apart from the mines). I have also seen the SCR625 shortened version, can any one enlighten. I am also after the two manuals for the above if any one has either for sale.

I have a manual the SCR in my book case.

I'll dig it up.

I might be convinced to sell it thumbsup.gif

Ok dug it up.

Here's what I have.

A) TM 11-1122 for Detector Sets SCR 625A , B, C, D and E dated April 6th 1943. (Printed Jan 17 1944)

B ) Supplement for same dated 15 June 1944. C) Addenda to the Supplement.

D) Supplement for same dated 16 Dec 1944

All in a cardboard slip case marked "RESTRICTED TM 11-1122 etc

You can PM me an offer if you like.

I'll take paypal.

Johan Willaert

I have both sets in my collection and I believe the SCR625 saw more widespread use during WW2 than the later PRS-1. Also from putting them on display, I believe the PRS-1 with the 'antenna's' was more vulnerable than the sturdier earlier disc design of the 625.

I have actually used the 625 for detecting work, way back when I still had batteries, and it works adequately. Haven't worked with the PRS though....

Both are nice sets and make great conversation starters at displays...

Johan

I have been told that the PRS-1 is for detecting Topf, glass and schu mines as it detects the anonimlies in the ground rather than metal.

Thats correct. But they weren't very reliable at it.

Jonathan Gawne wrote a fantastic article on both sets in Militaria Magazine. It was also published in the short lived English version ermm.gif .

Thats correct. But they weren't very reliable at it.

Jonathan Gawne wrote a fantastic article on both sets in Militaria Magazine. It was also published in the short lived English version ermm.gif .

I have some of Jonathan's Gawnes books I wouldn't mind seeing the articles. Do you know the year and month regarding the Militaria Magazine. Did you get my e-mail.

I have some of Jonathan's Gawnes books I wouldn't mind seeing the articles. Do you know the year and month regarding the Militaria Magazine. Did you get my e-mail.

I'll have to dig up the article.

Did you get my reply?

I made some additional pictures off the case, bag. SCR-625-F. The bag I have is not a backpack type.

cimg0758cl5.jpg

cimg0760zh7.jpg

cimg0764st6.jpg

cimg0762ws4.jpg

Regards

Richard

A) TM 11-1122 for Detector Sets SCR 625A , B, C, D and E dated April 6th 1943. (Printed Jan 17 1944)

But what about the SCR-625-F? What's the difference between the model F and the rest of the types (A,B,C,D,E)?

This is my SCR-625 (with a, for me, strange plate attached to the controll box): http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11996

I picked up a backpack type bag today and it turned out to be for the SCR-625's controller. It has the stencil "BG-151-H" so it may be for the SCR-65(H). I haven't taken any photos yet but here's one in an old Army photo:

post-214-1200545733.jpg

Interesting Picture could this be done to a normal 625 or was it a different model.

Oh yeah- go ahead and GIVE away all my valuable work......

(just kidding)

Very good work I'd say, especially your books. Whats the latest book you have out at the moment. Can you enlighten us about these detectors.

To quote Jonathan Gawne's informative article

The US Army "...redesigned the 625 into the 625(H) with a kit that allowed modifications by units in the field. The 625(H) moved the control box to the operators belt, eliminated the visual indicating meter, and provided a short rod that allowed the 625(H) to be used by a kneeling [or prone] operator."

Jonathan goes on to say "The short rod allowed operators to feel for trip wires with one hand, and then sweep for mines with the detecting coil in the other." Regarding use of the 625(H) he says that "...few, if any, of this model were ever used before May 1945."

• 1 year later...

I saw one of these in person for the first time today when I was appraising militaria for an upcoming estate sale. I'd bet that if you put on an old OD uniform and M1 helmet and then started walking around the park or beach with one of these you'd attract a crowd :)

scr1.jpg

scr2.jpg

Is this what the guy in the picture is using to hold the mine detector head? I have it in the box with my set but never could figure out how it was used. It is marked Handle M-444.

post-55-1246139036.jpg

post-55-1246139049.jpg

Handle, Pistol Grip, M-444-H. It is a carry handle that is part of the conversion kit to the H series SCR. Page 5 of the Supplement to the TM 11-1122, dated 22 March 1945 describes how to use this item. I have a SCR-625C that was converted to an H.

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00510.jpg