The fantastic F-14 Tomcat

I thought I'd share some photos I took of the Tomcats final embark whilst onboard the USS Theodore roosevelt back in July 2006. VF-31 Tomcatters was on exercise off the coast of the Carolinas where I spent the last two days of Tomcat carrier ops photographing the action.

CRW_2165.jpg

CRW_2175.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

The last ever launch of a Tomcat off a carrier...

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5685.jpg

I hope you like them.

Neil.

All Airborne Troop Carrier items wanted especially uniform groupings and unit history books. Anything considered!!

Collector and researcher of IX Troop Carrier Command. Visit my Facebook page to see the research and collection.

http://www.facebook.com/IXtroopcarriercommand

Hard to believe that this superb, awesome plane is no longer in service with the USN. It's still much better than most of the stuff flown by "the bad guys"!!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Apparently it was too labour intensive to keep flying.

Think I'd better dig out my "Top Gun" DVD and watch it again! :lol:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Fantastic pics! Sadly the Tomcat was more of a liability than an asset by the early 2000s. It was outclassed by many other platforms, and even though it had a new lease on life as a bomb truck (and a pretty good one), 15 maintenance hours per flight hour was getting far too costly to continue it in service.

In memory of 1LT Julius C. Goldman, XO of F/330th, 83rd Infantry Division 1944-45.

Looking for P-47 and Tactical Reconnaissance Unit photographs and any items associated with WWII Jewish fighter pilots.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

It's still much better than most of the stuff flown by "the bad guys"!

That's right.

The Bad Guys have got one F-14A from Iran but they were unable to copy such a state-of-the-art plane as they did it in the case of B-29.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

The end of an era. The final fly-past!

:salute:

post-8022-1348505835.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Fantastic pics! Sadly the Tomcat was more of a liability than an asset by the early 2000s. It was outclassed by many other platforms, and even though it had a new lease on life as a bomb truck (and a pretty good one), 15 maintenance hours per flight hour was getting far too costly to continue it in service.

I am an old Tomcat maintainer, and we had some airframes that were averaging over 60 maintenance man-hours per 1 hour of flight. The AWG-9 radar was a plumbing nightmare. Beautiful aircraft, no doubt, but she was a b@tc& to maintain. Those are some awesome pics, Thanks for posting.

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

These are great shots of a sad moment in Naval Aviation history. The F-14 is my favorite aircraft. Period.

I shot a few back in '89 when I spent a week aboard the Ranger.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters - at the moment of trap

2338367951_ffb7a6d657_b.jpg

Fired up, awaiting release of the catapult:

2339193580_ea6b7ab00f_b.jpg

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I am an old Tomcat maintainer, and we had some airframes that were averaging over 60 maintenance man-hours per 1 hour of flight. The AWG-9 radar was a plumbing nightmare. Beautiful aircraft, no doubt, but she was a b@tc& to maintain. Those are some awesome pics, Thanks for posting.

Whoaa... Now I understand better why they retired it.

I thought I'd share some photos I took of the Tomcats final embark whilst onboard the USS Theodore roosevelt back in July 2006. VF-31 Tomcatters was on exercise off the coast of the Carolinas where I spent the last two days of Tomcat carrier ops photographing the action.

I hope you like them.

Neil.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Great photos from a great photo opp!

506th Fighter Group Historian

Interested in all items relating to the 7th AAF, especially those of the VLR P-51 Pilots of the 15th, 21st, and 506th Fighter Groups.

donation2016.gif

"MEATCLEAVER, MEATCLEAVER!"

All of you F-15 guys out there know exactly what that means!

In memory of 1LT Julius C. Goldman, XO of F/330th, 83rd Infantry Division 1944-45.

Looking for P-47 and Tactical Reconnaissance Unit photographs and any items associated with WWII Jewish fighter pilots.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif