The fantastic F-14 Tomcat

jonesy1275

I thought I'd share some photos I took of the Tomcats final embark whilst onboard the USS Theodore roosevelt back in July 2006. VF-31 Tomcatters was on exercise off the coast of the Carolinas where I spent the last two days of Tomcat carrier ops photographing the action.

CRW_2165.jpg

CRW_2175.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

The last ever launch of a Tomcat off a carrier...

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5685.jpg

I hope you like them.

Neil.

Hard to believe that this superb, awesome plane is no longer in service with the USN. It's still much better than most of the stuff flown by "the bad guys"!!

Cobrahistorian

Fantastic pics! Sadly the Tomcat was more of a liability than an asset by the early 2000s. It was outclassed by many other platforms, and even though it had a new lease on life as a bomb truck (and a pretty good one), 15 maintenance hours per flight hour was getting far too costly to continue it in service.

It's still much better than most of the stuff flown by "the bad guys"!

That's right.

The Bad Guys have got one F-14A from Iran but they were unable to copy such a state-of-the-art plane as they did it in the case of B-29.

I thought I'd share some photos I took of the Tomcats final embark whilst onboard the USS Theodore roosevelt back in July 2006.

Neil,

Thanks a lot! Fantastic images with great historical value.

Fantastic pics! Sadly the Tomcat was more of a liability than an asset by the early 2000s. It was outclassed by many other platforms, and even though it had a new lease on life as a bomb truck (and a pretty good one), 15 maintenance hours per flight hour was getting far too costly to continue it in service.

I am an old Tomcat maintainer, and we had some airframes that were averaging over 60 maintenance man-hours per 1 hour of flight. The AWG-9 radar was a plumbing nightmare. Beautiful aircraft, no doubt, but she was a b@tc& to maintain. Those are some awesome pics, Thanks for posting.

These are great shots of a sad moment in Naval Aviation history. The F-14 is my favorite aircraft. Period.

I shot a few back in '89 when I spent a week aboard the Ranger.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters - at the moment of trap

2338367951_ffb7a6d657_b.jpg

Fired up, awaiting release of the catapult:

2339193580_ea6b7ab00f_b.jpg

I am an old Tomcat maintainer, and we had some airframes that were averaging over 60 maintenance man-hours per 1 hour of flight. The AWG-9 radar was a plumbing nightmare. Beautiful aircraft, no doubt, but she was a b@tc& to maintain. Those are some awesome pics, Thanks for posting.

Whoaa... Now I understand better why they retired it.

I thought I'd share some photos I took of the Tomcats final embark whilst onboard the USS Theodore roosevelt back in July 2006. VF-31 Tomcatters was on exercise off the coast of the Carolinas where I spent the last two days of Tomcat carrier ops photographing the action.

I hope you like them.

Neil.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Great photos from a great photo opp!