Unusual Winged Prop pins

USMCRECON

Pictured below are a pair of winged Army Air Forces winged prop lapel pins (I think). They are a bit unusual in that each one is in its separate box. The detail is also better than the normal issue winged prop and they're a little bigger. Below are pics of the devices in their boxes (I turned one over to show the backside, I also took one pic with a standard issue pin for comparison purposes.

Anyone know what these are for; sweetheart devices, perhaps??

post-1107-1202684940.jpg post-1107-1202684949.jpg

What is the overall size on these? There were larger ones than the usual lapel winged prop, that were used on overseas caps by flying cadets.

What is the overall size on these? There were larger ones than the usual lapel winged prop, that were used on overseas caps by flying cadets.

Hi Lee. I knew that aviation cadets had a large winged prop insignia on their service hat but I don't know anything about the sort of insignia they would have worn on their lapels. I'm not at home at the moment so can't measure them.

You can get an idea of the size, though, by looking at the bottom picture of my original post. It shows one of the pins in question on top and a standard AAF lapel-sized winged prop below. In addition to being of a slightly different shape, particularly bottom center of the wings on each side of the prop, they are ever so slightly larger then the standard issue lapel insignia.

When I get home tonight, I will measure them and post the info. It is unusual, though, that these would be boxed individually. I have another set that is very similar to these, though completely sterling with no gold wash on the wings, but they are boxed as a set. If I can get my hands on them this evening, I'll post a picture of them as well for comparison.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hi again, Lee. I can't seem to find a stupid ruler when I need one. However, I hope the attached picture will provide the dimensional comparison. The winged prop on the bottom is the larger one and the one lying on tou, backside up, is a regulation sized, regulation issued lapel winged prop. The span of the prop on both pins seem to be just about identical but the actual wing paet is tasller and longer in span than the regulation one. I kind of agree with Gary that these are probably sweetheart items and I just happened to come across two identical ones together.

post-1107-1202781882.jpg

While I'm at it, here's the other set of winged props that I'm not sure of. These may be another story as they are clearly a boxed pair.

These are in a center-opening Gemsco box. The dimensions are almost identical to the issue winged prop in the post above except the wingtips are slightly more pointed and ever so slightly upturned.

They are of the clutchback variety with sterling clutches but the wings themselves are in silver, like the props, with no gold wash on them at all. Were the AAF winged props ever issued/worn without a gold wash on the winged part?

The attached composite picture shows the boxtop the left and the open box, showing the winged prop pins on the right. One has been flipped over to show the backside and the sterling clutches.

Any opinions on this set would be greatly appreciated.

post-1107-1202782368.jpg

All silver winged props were worn by Civil Air Patrol officers from 1941 up until the Army style uniforms were replaced by the new USAF blues in the early 1950's. Also, the Cadets at the Air Force Academy still use the all silver winged prop that is the old AAF style (not current Army winged prop).

There were also all silver sweetheart pins made in the 40's. However, I think the matched set you have were probably CAP versions from the 40's.

All silver winged props were worn by Civil Air Patrol officers from 1941 up until the Army style uniforms were replaced by the new USAF blues in the early 1950's. Also, the Cadets at the Air Force Academy still use the all silver winged prop that is the old AAF style (not current Army winged prop).

There were also all silver sweetheart pins made in the 40's. However, I think the matched set you have were probably CAP versions from the 40's.

A-Haa! That would certainly explain the sterling ones! I really know very little about the CAP. Thanks for the info, Lee.