WWII AAF Life Raft Type A-3

AAF_Collection

AAF_Collection

Hi,

I'm seeking details of the equipment used in the AAF type A-3 Pneumatic Life Raft,as carried in several WWII bombers.

I have the raft and it's bag,but it's missing the onboard equipment.

Thanks!

Matt.

I have a list of the components for the kit on what I believe is the A-3 Life Raft. It comes from the Pilots' Information File dated 10/1/1943.

Sea Anchor (this is a large canvas bucket - put in water to slow drifting & keep the raft from turning broadside)

Sail

Bailing Bucket

Ration A (estimate your probable time afloat & ration this food according to conditions)

Shade & Camouflage Cloth (yellow on 1 side & blue on other - use for signaling, sun/wind/spray protection or to catch rain - use blue side for camouflage from enemy)

Emergency Drinking Water (sealed in cans, 11 oz per can with air space for freezing)

Line (lashing cord used to tie objects aboard or to tie boats together)

First-Aid Kit

Inflating Pump (for topping off inflatable units in raft)

Puncture Plugs (bullet hole plugs - wooden plugs used to seal any leaks or holes in the raft)

Signal Mirror

Flashlight (floating water-proof type - tie it to the raft with the cord provided - let it float as a night signal - battery will last 24 hours)

Fishing Tackle

Jacknife

Whistle

Sea Marker (a red powder - pour in water when plane is spotted - forms a slick about 50 yards square which will last 1/2 to 2 hours)

Repair Patch Kit (all right for dry repairs but not useful when raft is wet)

Wrist Compass

Signal Kit (contains a flare pistol & 5 or 6 flares)

Oars

raft-kit.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hello Matt,

Could you possibly post a pic of your raft?

The picture from the PIF is actually for the E-2A which is a 7 man raft. Your A-3 or A-3A is rated for 4-5 people but more considered a 4 man. So the good news is that the only difference in an accessorie layout would be less rations and water (4 ea.)

I have been accumilating the accessories for an A-3 and only missing the two sails/paulins and half the ditress signal kit to complete the unit.

There are many variables in the accessories depending on era you want it to be 1943-1944-1945. Obviously you have a good late 1943 reference. At the date of the publication the wooden oars were being phased out in favor of Aluminum.

• 2 years later...
heliographer

Hi,

I'm seeking details of the equipment used in the AAF type A-3 Pneumatic Life Raft,as carried in several WWII bombers.

I have the raft and it's bag,but it's missing the onboard equipment.

Thanks!

Matt.

The signal mirror in the PIF is the ESM/I - lots of good information on it in Dustin's thread here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2412-wwii-emergency-signal-mirror/

The training video for that mirror is here: