Vietnam era 1967 Chaplain's Organ Info

yog

Hey folks, new member here. I'm not really a militaria collector (although I do have a few clothing items in my closets--love N-1 deck jackets!) but I'm always out in the field finding cool military pieces from time to time. I intend on remaining a member here to absorb the wealth of knowledge on these forums......I do find militaria fascinating....

Anyway, this past week I found a piece I feel is fairly unusual and was wondering if any of the advanced collectors/dealers have ever seen this thing. I can't find a thing about it online. It's an electric field organ. US Dept. of Defense contract dated 1967. Looks like a foot locker but when opened is assembled into a little organ with mic. I even have the manual that came with it. I've provided numerous pictures. Anybody with any info let me know, I'm super curious about his piece!

organ12_zpsf59e5a3d.jpg

organ1_zps7305ce6f.jpg

organ6_zps9a9a4b1c.jpg

organ4_zps45b238d6.jpg

organ5_zps8ddfbe30.jpg

organ7_zpsc47d30f0.jpg

Hmmm, yeah the only thing I found online was a PDF army file that indicated these were prone to malfunction out in the field. Also, the maker of this organ, Karlton Instruments, appears to be hopelessly obscure.

I'm curious, when a private company got a military contract, did they sometimes create a different name to fulfill that contract? I just find it sort of strange that this company got a military contract when it appears they were not in business very long. I guess I'm wondering if "Karlton Instruments" was some sort of offshoot of a larger established company....

Interesting piece. Never seen or heard about it being use by chaplains. Still, I am sure they would if they could. I've only seen/heard about chaplains using the pump organ.

I'm calling this a chaplain organ because that's how the manual refers to it. Now whether it actually saw use by chaplains is another question altogether. Something tells me not many of these were made and were probably not that popular.......

I checked and in "Confidence in battle", page 169 states that the pump organ was replaced with the electric organ and then the cassette recorder with pre-recorded hymns. The footnote references "Chaplains Go Mobile" in Soldier Magazine June 1971.