Civilian Defense Symbols

Homefrontguy

I thought since Jason is posting some fine Civil And Civilian Defense items I would add some as well. This is an ink blotter from WWII with nice descriptions of the various Civilian Defense symbols. Jim

post-1908-1202662426.jpg

I like the little picture in the lower left hand corner showing a CD working swinging a pick ax next to an unexploded bomb! LOL!

Um... before we proceed, perhaps we should go back and read the next page of the training manual!!!!

I'll bet some of those volunteers never got to use their special skills like decontamination or bomb disposal? Every try to collect all of the patches, armbands, and decals for each specialty? (1960) Visit to a Small Planet" with Jerry Lewis in the lead role of Kreton wants to date Fred Clark's (General Roger Putnam Standing) daughter and in one scene the old general is dressed as an Air Raid Warden with armband and white Civil Defense helmet. w00t.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California 91042-2731

post-837-1203025192.jpg

post-837-1203025235.jpg

post-837-1203025257.jpg

post-837-1203025269.jpg

craig_pickrall

It is interesting to see the CD members above carrying military issue gas masks rather than the civilian version. I do not see the normal markings on the bags however.

It is interesting to see the CD members above carrying military issue gas masks rather than the civilian version. I do not see the normal markings on the bags however.

Yes, they used also "kidney" model so well liked by the paras.

post-75-1203064898.jpg

post-75-1203064910.jpg

post-75-1203064921.jpg

...Looks like the Messengers wore their armbands sometimes upside down...

Here's another downside up CD armband, Gregory. Otherwise these fellows look like responsible business executives...do you suppose they suffered from some sort of dyslexia?

post-1963-1203067224.jpg

Here's another downside up CD armband, Gregory. Otherwise these fellows look like responsible business executives...do you suppose they suffered from some sort of dyslexia?

Hello Wailuna,

It is very hard to say, I do not know. I correspond with the US WWII soldiers who are 90+ yo and they are bright-minded men I like very much. In the case of CD members and their 180 degrees rotated armbands... who knows? Lack of classic military discipline?; treating that armbands as marginal thing? temporary absent-minding? lack of the posters showing correct symbology? Heaven knows... I can imagine that for those people much more important were their tasks in CD system than symbology at the armbands. I remember how much seriously treated his tasks my grandfather in similar CD structure in its anti-gas and anti-aircraft branch.

Best regards :)

Greg

post-1963-1203067224.jpg

Nope. It looks correct when the wearer is looking down his sleeve at it! :rolleyes: