WW1 Trench boots

talontree14

Hello everyone,

I recently received my WPG trench boots that I ordered for my birthday! I gotta' say they are ugly as hell but I love them! I have never had roughout boots before I wanted to ask what would be the best way to treat the boots, maybe even make them a little darker? Would it be as simple as applying some kiwi polish?

Here is a picture of the boots with a pair of puttees on.

post-51805-1348198008.jpg

Thanks in advance for any answers! As soon as my schipperfabrik uniform comes in I will post pictures of a WW1 Impression!

Thanks again!

Christian

Hello, during ww1, Soldiers of the AEF used a boot treatment of Beef Tallow. "shining" them was not the purpose, simply to preserve the boots agaist the harsh environment that the armies of millions created in the trenches ( Waste, decay, gas, etc). Also water proofing to shut out the rain and water that collected at the bottom of the trenches. I have had original ww1 trench boots that still had remnants of the this tallow treatment. The leather was still quite rough but very dark. Areas of high wear, the heal and the toe tips were nearly worn smooth. Just some thoughts on what the desired effect should be.

Terry in Colorado

Collector of the Great War

There was an earlier thread detaling treatment of the rough out boots.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=dubbing

Steve B.'s post on the 2d page of the thread which Doyler linked to is the way to go. For WW1 boots, forget anything about shining - the key is waterproofing, which will darken them in the process. Don't let the stories of how to convert WW2 roughouts to 50s shiny boots confuse you!

Elbow grease, Sno-Seal and an oven is all you need. The outcome will be very similar to the beef tallow result Terry mentioned - and not cause your boots to (eventually) rot.

Steve

I saw a pair going for 1200 dollars yesterday at a collectors show... With a market such as the current, good repros like those are the way to go! :w00t: