Army Air Force Aides

artur95

Hello,

I am trying to do some research on a specific organization from World War II, and I need some help looking up the history for the group. If anyone has a copy of this book, ("Dressed for duty : America's women in uniform, 1898-1973" / by Jill Halcomb Smith) can you please help me?

I am interested in the section on "Army Air Force Aides"- page 158.

Thank you for your time,

-Artur

I spoke to Artur via PM. We decided to post the information on here in case others wanted to learn about the "Army Air Force Aides" of WWII. There was not much info about them. The following is quoted from the book:

The purpose of this organization was to assist men who wanted to join the United States Army Air Forces with filling out forms and aptitude tests. Army Air Force Aides wore a distinctive periwinkle blue uniform blouse, skirt and visored hat. The blouse was single-breasted and fastened with four shankless gilt buttons embossed with a winged propeller insigne on a horizontal striped background. The bodice pocket flaps, side pocket flaps and shoulder straps had these same buttons in a smaller size. Two of these buttons were sewn at each sleeve cuff. A patch was worn over the left bodice pocket. It consisted of a set of machine-embroidered white wings with a blue circle in the center with a white star. Embroidered about this were the words, “Army Air Force Aides” in red thread. “Rank” was worn on the shoulder straps. A periwinkle blue visored hat was worn with the uniform. The machine-embroidered white thread wings with a blue circle and white star on a periwinkle blue backing were sewn to the front of the hat. Aides carried a brown leather shoulder bag.

I spoke to Artur via PM. We decided to post the information on here in case others wanted to learn about the "Army Air Force Aides" of WWII. There was not much info about them. The following is quoted from the book:

The purpose of this organization was to assist men who wanted to join the United States Army Air Forces with filling out forms and aptitude tests. Army Air Force Aides wore a distinctive periwinkle blue uniform blouse, skirt and visored hat. The blouse was single-breasted and fastened with four shankless gilt buttons embossed with a winged propeller insigne on a horizontal striped background. The bodice pocket flaps, side pocket flaps and shoulder straps had these same buttons in a smaller size. Two of these buttons were sewn at each sleeve cuff. A patch was worn over the left bodice pocket. It consisted of a set of machine-embroidered white wings with a blue circle in the center with a white star. Embroidered about this were the words, “Army Air Force Aides” in red thread. “Rank” was worn on the shoulder straps. A periwinkle blue visored hat was worn with the uniform. The machine-embroidered white thread wings with a blue circle and white star on a periwinkle blue backing were sewn to the front of the hat. Aides carried a brown leather shoulder bag.

Thank you again for the information! I'll try to start a new thread in the next couple of days on the group with an album and patch that belonged to one of the volunteers.

-Artur

Thank you again for the information! I'll try to start a new thread in the next couple of days on the group with an album and patch that belonged to one of the volunteers.

-Artur

That would be great! Can't wait to see the pictures. I will ask a moderator if they can change the title of this thread then you can just add to this one and have it all in one spot.

• 4 years later...

Here are some shots of the album. The building with columns is the Field Museum in downtown Chicago. The quality of the photos is pretty good. The photographer had a key eye and a good camera. Digitizing them is on my to do list this winter and if anyone wants higher resolution scans, shoot me a pm and I can send them via email.

Thanks,

Artur

post-50337-0-37676500-1482112528_thumb.jpg

post-50337-0-40393400-1482112555_thumb.jpg

post-50337-0-51694700-1482112576_thumb.jpg

post-50337-0-86268700-1482112599_thumb.jpg

post-50337-0-51415600-1482112614_thumb.jpg

post-50337-0-76700900-1482112629_thumb.jpg

post-50337-0-57848500-1482112693_thumb.jpg

post-50337-0-86954800-1482112706_thumb.jpg

post-50337-0-07711700-1482112723_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...