458th BG Painted A-2

JDK

Here is one of my favorite painted jackets from my collection. I have had it for quite some time. It came from a B-24 Navigator with the 458th BG 8th AAF. He and his crew made it through without a scratch. One of the rarer tales considering he was a later war crew member. It seems almost every crew had some close call but not these guys!

Jacket

1.post-2901-0-70988000-1398795925.jpg

2.post-2901-0-35965500-1398795956.jpg

3.post-2901-0-80539700-1398795986.jpg

4.post-2901-0-01091700-1398795994.jpg

5.post-2901-0-34887200-1398796014.jpg

Amazing art work !!!

And in such a fine grouping.

That 4 pocket jacket is beautiful.

Did I mention that I love this group ?

M

Like the TV commercial says "it don't get no better than this " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, art work , unit patch , photos and provanace to back it up , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments guys! I love this set too.

On a side note, a few years back, another jacket with the same artwork but without the squadron patch sold on eBay. I beleive it also had a name strip? Anyhow, It was sold by the same guy that I bought this jacket from. It came with a copy of the photo of my guy (shown above) showing the artwork, and that was all. I assume used for provenance of the painting? That particular jacket belonged to a fellow crew member (Waist Gunner) of this Navigator. I bid on the jacket, but lost out at the end by $25. Unfortunately at the time I was a little strapped for cash otherwise I would have bid enough to get it done!

If the owner of that jacket is a member here and decides to ever let it go, I'm interested! I would love to have both of these great painted jackets from fellow crew members back together. Not getting that jacket is one of those collecting regrets that has bugged me for years.

JD

Many years ago I had seen identical artwork on a jacket in a collection. But for the life of me I am unable to recall where and who was the owner. I have seen hundreds of jackets over the years and it is very difficult to remember all of them and where they reside. This particular grouping is very nice, the artwork is a very nice example of creativity when observiong jacket war-art.

Many years ago I had seen identical artwork on a jacket in a collection. But for the life of me I am unable to recall where and who was the owner. I have seen hundreds of jackets over the years and it is very difficult to remember all of them and where they reside. This particular grouping is very nice, the artwork is a very nice example of creativity when observiong jacket war-art.

If you ever remember where you saw it, drop me a PM. I would love to track it down. I have the crew members name and a screenshot of the other jacket somewhere.

• 1 year later...

Wow...never saw this one. That is one great painted up A-2. And the period photo of it is equally amazing! Very nice grouping, thanks for reposting.

• 1 month later...