Is This US Marine Wearing Her EGA's On Her Shoulder ??

manayunkman

I think I have seen a uniform set up like that, but I never understood why it was done that way. Maybe some post graduation practice at the time?

In the book "Dressed for Duty" it says:

"Officers had several choices of summer dress uniforms.....Officers wore the gold and silver devices, normally worn on the collar of the blouse, on the shoulder strap, near the seam, with their rank insignia centered between the eagle, globe and anchor emblem and the shoulder strap button. It was remarked that 'even a lieutenant looked like a four-star general with so much metal on the shoulder straps'"

the footnote reference for the above statement states the source was from a book "Free a Marine to Fight: Women Marines in World War II" written by Colonel Mary V Stremlow USMCR (Ret.)

I hope this helps....Kat

Any time! I sure wish there was a book dedicated to Women Marines and their uniforms.

I think I am going to look for the book referenced in the footnote. It sounds interesting.

....Kat

One more thing. The book also has a picture of an officer with the insignia worn in this manner. The uniform in this picture looks like the same one in your picture. The caption to this picture says:

"Second Lieutenant Marcella J Greene wears the summer dress "A", with rank and the USMC insignia worn on the shoulder straps, 1950."

Any time! I sure wish there was a book dedicated to Women Marines and their uniforms.

I think I am going to look for the book referenced in the footnote. It sounds interesting.

....Kat

Kat.............Get with Ken and write the book!! :thumbsup:

At the risk of boring everyone after Cat's post, here is the official story.

The Uniform Regulations, U.S. Marine Corps Women's Reserve, 1943 were approved by SecNav on 25 August, 1943. They were published "for the information and guidance of all concerned." in LETTER OF INSTRUCTION NO. 523, dated 27 August 1943.

"Chapter V, INSIGNIA, ORNAMENTS, ETC., COMMISSIONED OFFICERS" contained the following paragraph that will ultimately address the issue being discused here. Hang with me.

"75. Officers shall wear the insignia of rank on the shoulder straps of all coats, the overcoat, and the trench coat on the center line of each shoulder strap, with the outer edge of insignia 3/4 inch from the armhole seam."

Note no mention of collar ornaments (EGA) on the shoulder straps at this time.

________________________________________________________________________________

LETTER OF INSTRUCTION NO. 670, dated 25 February 1944 contained a long list of changes to the Uniform Regulations, Marine Corps Women's Reserve, 1943.. The change that concerns us here reads as follows:

"Page 6, par. 75: Add "On summer dress A coat, the insignia of rank shall be worn on the center line of each shoulder strap, equidistant between the button and the ornament. (See plate No. 2 as revised by L. of I. No. 777)."

________________________________________________________________________________

LETTER OF INSTRUCTION NO. 777 dated 9 June 1944 included a revised plate No. 2 that was to replace the original plate included with the Regulations as published in August 1943.

"Plate No. 2 should be destroyed and the enclosed Plate No. 2 (Revised), substituted therefore."

This revised plate showed the positioning of the collar ornaments AND the position of the ornament to be used on the shoulder straps of female officer summer dress A coats. The center of the globe was to be 3/4 inch from the armhole seam. The drawing shows a left collar ornament in use on the left shoulder strap. The eagle's head points inboard. Sorry, but there is no way for me to scan he drawing!

So the use of EGAs on epaulets only related to one uniform, and wasn't adopted until February 1944. I suspect that there aren't that many photos of officers wearing that particular uniform, so this particularity wasn't known by many...or any...!

Sorry if this is a little boring. Hope it is of use, though.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

Sorry if this is a little boring. Hope it is of use, though.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

Not boring at all! It is always nice to see the regs that back up the books. The picture on here is dated 1945. The picture in my book is dated 1950. Both of these fit the timeframe of your regs. :thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch, Kat

• 5 months later...

....Kat

Kat,

I couldn't agree more. I'd love for you to share any references/resources you've found in regards to women Marine uniforms from the WWI and WWII era.

Serenity

....Kat

Might be a good side project for you... someone has to do it!