Early 19th Century Cadet Uniform?

WWIMedalMan

I found this picture in a box of my great great grandmother's (Edith Blanch Griffith (1876-1961) possessions. It said that this gentleman was the grandson of a man she dated, but i am having a hard time identifying the uniform.

I think it is American because of the marksman badge, but she was British and lived most of her life in Barbados or British Guyana.

Can anyone tell me what the other two medals are? Also, I have no idea what kind of uniform this is, but I am guessing it is some type of cadet uniform. Any ideas?

post-13667-1348028750.jpg

For a larger version of this photograph, go here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/StMse...feat=directlink

He appears to be wearing a New York National Guard uniform - 7th Regiment, maybe? If you blow it up, the buttons look like NY buttons. The Army adopted the "Maltese Cross"-type marksmanship awards in 1895, so this pic would have to post-date that. From the photo style and hair style, I'd guess that this photo could be in the 1920's to 1930's period. I'm not sure how late the NY Guard wore these dress uniforms, but many similar units like the Richmond Blues wore these fancy uniforms right up to WWII.

• 2 months later...

That is an Army Marksman level marksmanship badge. That style (Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert with bars) was adopted in 1921 and is still in use today.