The Captain and the Berlin road block

renfield

post-5349-1348026591.jpgI rember seeing this artical in the scrapbook when I was a teenager. After the flood that destroyed so much of our family history this is what is left. This is what is left of a Stars and Stripes artical dated Oct.13,1963. The Soviets stopped an American convoy on its way to West Berlin. I thought my father was in command of the convoy, but it looks like there was a Major in charge. The convoy was held for 51 hours. In the picture he has written in "my Jeep". According to my late mother it was his idea to get a shave and a hair cut to lighten the mood and show his contempt for the Soviets. I know there was a snapshot of him sitting on a chair in the back of his jeep getting a hair cut. That photo did not survive.

Steve

post-5349-1348026731.jpg There are so many stories like this in every family are lost with the passing of years. I wish I would have had the chance to sit and talk to him about his career, and thought in general.

post-5349-1348027002.jpgA picture of him in West Germany. Note the water damage. Please protect the things that are valuable to your family now! Anything can happen at any time.

Steve

post-5349-1348027216.jpg I would like to look up more info on this little bit of history. Articals from other newspaper. President Kennedy was killed just about a month after this. Thanks for taking time to read this bit of family history.

Steve