Bit by the mint bug again...

THAT GUY

Howdy all!

Starting when I was 15 or so I was bitten by the mint U.S. WWII bug. Since then I have built collections, sold collections, built them up again, and once again, sold them. I thought I was finally free from the bug until I went to a local militaria show. I was planning to remain free from anything mint due to the price but... I found several items that were marked so far down that I finally figured a good way to balance my obsession with my checking account.

I realized that to ensure I don't get bored of my collection and spend too much money by building up an extremely large mass of gear in a month or so I'd only buy what I find at shows if the price is right. That way I am forced to build my collection every so slowly. For a college kid this seems to be working so far. :D

Anyways, if anyone has the mint bug like myself and does not have oodles of money to spend every month, try this approach. Not only will you save money, but it's fun not knowing what you will find! Certainly beats ebay! :D

Sam

That is about the approach I take on collecting. I will post ads and such but I dont go on ebay or any of the other auction sites to buy. It will either come my way or Ill find it at the flea market. You are right about it being fun; not knowing what someone will be putting on their table or what that ad response email will hold inside!

Philip

My best finds have been at estate family auction of a WWII veteran, my wifes father sold me a M1905 bayonet and scabbard for $125 the bayonet has 100% original finish never been sharpened its the long one dated 1942. I lean towards the best condition when I can afford it and it is original. To me its the best investment. Now there are just too many WWII patches so I have narrowed my collecting to AAF and air force experimental patches that were in use only a short time. Everthing else I sell.

My best finds have been at estate family auction of a WWII veteran, my wifes father sold me a M1905 bayonet and scabbard for $125 the bayonet has 100% original finish never been sharpened its the long one dated 1942. I lean towards the best condition when I can afford it and it is original. To me its the best investment. Now there are just too many WWII patches so I have narrowed my collecting to AAF and air force experimental patches that were in use only a short time. Everthing else I sell.

I do the same thing many times. I'll pick somethin up cheap and sell. Only way right now for me to make extra $. :D