Aussie made Corpsman uniforms

carrabassett

Picked these up from a friend today. Thought they were pretty cool as they both are named to the same guy (who I have not researched). Both uniforms were made in Sydney and have KG Luke buttons. The double breasted navy dress jacket is dated 1943 and comes with matching pants but tag is gone. I think the tie is Australian made too. My question is, are the patches Aussie made as well? Would love to find out more about him and the uniforms.

post-3604-1348001552.jpg post-3604-1348001561.jpg post-3604-1348001567.jpg

Those are superb! I've only had one other Murdoch's set in the past - Aussie made Navy uniforms are quite rare. I've never seen a set of khakis made in Australia either. AND to a Corpsman to boot...extremely nice!

As far as where the patches were made...there's nothing on there to definitely indicate they were made in Australia, but the eagle looks odd enough where they might have been. Is the fabric the same for the uniform and patch? On the set I had, the patch was definitely Aussie made and on the same (rather odd) blue material.

Dave

Dave, both patches are made from the exact same material as the jackets and the workmanship is superb. They are actually multi-piece. The khaki has blue jean type cotton chevrons machine stitched on with the cross being a rougher weave cotton and separately applied as well. The dress uniform rank is wool worsted like the jacket with felt chevrons and cross machine woven on. The eagle is great detail, sort of raised and almost seems silk or some such material. Unusual and given all the parts seem to be Australian in origin, I thought they might very well be too. Any help with info on the original owner? Thanks!

The more I look at the patch on the khaki uniform, the more inclined I am to agree that the patches are probably aussie made. Nice!

Nothing about the owner at this point...with his last name it's going to take more than a few minutes of searching, but not impossible by any stretch!!

Got a pretty good fix on your guy. I browsed the Navy Musters and found one ML Ford that was a Pharmacist's Mate, but is not listed as being a Chief....However, things do line up:

Melvin L. Ford S/N 5637839 Enlisted on 19 OCT 42 in LA, CA

Listed as Pm2c on 2 and 6 OCT 1943 embarked on the seaplane tender USS Half Moon (AVP-26) as part of HEDRON FAW-17.

"From Brisbane, Half Moon moved to Namoai Bay, on Sariba Island, New Guinea, arriving on 6 October 1943. At Namoai Bay Half Moon began her tending duties. Her embarked squadron, flying Consolidated PBY Catalina flying boats, conducted night antishipping strikes in the New Guinea area. With the support of seaplane tenders like Half Moon these missions, called '"Black Cat" strikes, achieved important results in the destruction of Japanese transports."

-And there's your Australia connection.

FAW-17

http://www.ozatwar.com/usnavy/faw-17.htm

I would order this guys record to confirm he was a Chief, but I bet it's better than 50/50 right now.

Bet this is his obit:

Melvin L. Ford: Newspaper Obituary and Death Notice

Lincoln Journal Star (NE) - Friday, December 24, 2004

Deceased Name: Melvin L. Ford

Melvin L. Ford, 99, Lincoln, died Tuesday (12/21/04). R.N., U.S. Navy, World War II. Formerly employed, maintenance departments, Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital, Bailey Sanitarium. Member: Grace Lutheran Church; Gladiola and Rose Society.

Survivors: wife, Ruthie; niece, Emmy Lou Mettlen, Lincoln; great-nieces, Maryann Wynne, Lincoln, Marge Hess, Strasburg, Colo.; great-nephew, Ryan Wynne, Lincoln; nephew, Dwayne Witt, Syracuse. Preceded in death by: first wife, Josie; sisters, Helen Marie Ford-Vorhees, Christine Ford-Vogelsang; brother, Milton Ford; parents, Lewis and Matilda; aunt, Mary Ford-Tift.

Services: 11 a.m. Monday, Butherus, Maser & Love, 4040 A St. The Rev. Wallace Wolff. Wyuka Cemetery, 3600 O St. No viewing; no visitation. Memorials to Grace Lutheran Church. q

Nice acquisition.

I have never seen the aussie uniforms its interesting that the eagle on the sr cpo patch is part of the upper chevron. Thanks for posting.

Wow, thanks so very much to all for the fabulous info. This is what's so wonderful about the Forum. How does one get access to the navy musters? Is Ancestry worth getting? Thanks again!

Kurt Barickman

Those are very nice. I once had a jumper to a corpsman made in Australia and a set of USMC officer tunic and pants in service green to a USN Medical Dr. who was with 1/1 in the 1st Division on Guadalcanal which was also made in Australia but I can't remember the makers name/label in the pockets. The officer greens were a very unique shade of green. Very nice and rare items and thanks for posting.

Kurt Barickman

Is there anything more beutiful than an eight button CPO Uniform? Excpet maybe one with a Signalman crow, a stack of hashmarks and an Amphib patch :rolleyes:

Love these, great crows too.

Steve

Is there anything more beutiful than an eight button CPO Uniform? Excpet maybe one with a Signalman crow, a stack of hashmarks and an Amphib patch :rolleyes:

Love these, great crows too.

Steve

Probably not. :thumbsup:

craig_pickrall

Great set of uniforms, congratulations.

Will you please post just the photos of the rates in the Rank and Rate Section for future reference and add a link back to this thread so anyone interested can also find the uniform info. Thanks!

The more I look at the patch on the khaki uniform, the more inclined I am to agree that the patches are probably aussie made.

I'd have to agree with Dave on this. The more I compare those crows to my growing collection and to those of other forum members' collections, I am convinced that they are Aussie-made.

Dang...what a VERY nice group of uniforms! The khaki one is the one that gets me fired up!

I'd have to agree with Dave on this. The more I compare those crows to my growing collection and to those of other forum members' collections, I am convinced that they are Aussie-made.

Dang...what a VERY nice group of uniforms! The khaki one is the one that gets me fired up!

Having seen more than one Australian made rate, I agree they are.

They are not real common.