Do you think your collection will hold its' value?

cutiger83

My original question was never meant to place a value on items as an investment. Once the last of the WWII vets has passed on, will the people who pay top dollar for the "must haves" still be paying top dollar for these items? Will the price go down because the general public has lost interest in WWII vets? Some people have to see a WWII vet and hear their stories to be able to understand the value of their sacrifice. Before and after each episode of Band of Brothers, they were interviewing the vets portrayed in the movie. Seeing the men made it that much more special. All too soon, we won't be able to see and talk to them. Will that have an affect on collecting WWII items?

....Kat

Got it :thumbsup: I dont think there will be a lack of interest in WW2, once these vets pass on. I do wonder what will happen when the "boomers" retire from collecting, as that generation seems to be carrying the torch for there fathers and mothers. As well as being the most active in buying antiques and collectables :think:

That's because we "boomers" probably have more disposable income? If I was 25 again (I wish!) with a young wife, child, mortgage and career to carve out, I'm pretty sure I would not be able to collect in the same manner at today's prices! :pinch:

My original question was never meant to place a value on items as an investment. Once the last of the WWII vets has passed on, will the people who pay top dollar for the "must haves" still be paying top dollar for these items? Will the price go down because the general public has lost interest in WWII vets? Some people have to see a WWII vet and hear their stories to be able to understand the value of their sacrifice. Before and after each episode of Band of Brothers, they were interviewing the vets portrayed in the movie. Seeing the men made it that much more special. All too soon, we won't be able to see and talk to them. Will that have an affect on collecting WWII items?

....Kat

Got it :thumbsup: I dont think there will be a lack of interest in WW2, once these vets pass on. I do wonder what will happen when the "boomers" retire from collecting, as that generation seems to be carrying the torch for there fathers and mothers. As well as being the most active in buying antiques and collectables :think:

I've seen similar with older generations, people thought when they went the stuff that generation collected would be treated like garbage and that no one would want it, when they all pretty much passed on it was considered "junk" by younger people who had no knowlege of it, but thanks to the numerous collections dumped on the market and the side effect of cheap prices it became a "hot" commodity again.

Bottom line, if you collection is worth nothing and junk compared to whatever is popularly collected it might have the side effect of encouraging new collectors with low prices, and thus it starts again.

It's how life works.

(Model T's and A's were at one time collected by the people who drove them when they were new, then they all but passed on and for a long time were popular for "hot rodding", now they are collectible again. For someone to enter the collecting field prices must be cheap and supply abundant)

This goes to my first post. If we have no one left who remembers these brave people, and what they sacrificed for, what value will be placed on any of our items??

Sadly, I think that many "collectors" buy for other reasons.

Some people want bragging rights.

Witness fakes of "D-Day" (one day out of a hellish six year war..). Someone wants them bad enough.

I digress.

(There are many who buy to preserve the history of that day, a day which should not be marginalized or forgotten. But the other days should not be forgotten either).