Dr_rambow

WWI Training rifle with 1907 leather sling

I just stopped into a an antique shop on a whim, and was looking around at their military stuff. I saw a Paris Dunn trainer rifle, which I thought was priced accurately (a little high for my budget still). Next to it was a trainer rifle I did not recognize at all.

The asking price was $275, which given the uncertainty of what it was, I decided to come home and look it up. It had a 1907 leather sling (didn't know the model at the time, so I didn't check for dates), and was in working condition. It showed it's age, but was complete. The side of the stock was marked with "PROPERTY Company A" with a few other numbers. A smaller "118" and a larger "45##" (I don't remember that one exactly).

Turns out it was a United States Training Rifle Co. product from WWI! I might have to go back and grab it, but I really don't know what these go for. From what I gather they are difficult to find.

Have any advice folks?

As a refresher here is another one that was posted here. The one I'm looking at is not nearly in as nice condition:

TrainingRifle010.jpg

TrainingRifle002.jpg

TrainingRifle003.jpg

-Todd

Currently looking for WWI items, specifically photos of the 116th infantry regiment, and any material related to the USS Olympia.

Always on the lookout for any rations, miscellaneous personal items, pack filler, care package stuffers, knit Red Cross material, and oddball equipment to supplement the Doughboy display.
Have some extras? I help friends fill out their living history kit, and could always use more loaner gear!

For $275 with the sling might not be a bad deal. Here's one that sold in August, and an earlier listing for another one.

trainer1.jpg

trainer2.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Hell, the guy said he had $100 offers for just the sling! Condition not withstanding, still might be a good price. Lord only knows when I'll see another one.

-Todd

Currently looking for WWI items, specifically photos of the 116th infantry regiment, and any material related to the USS Olympia.

Always on the lookout for any rations, miscellaneous personal items, pack filler, care package stuffers, knit Red Cross material, and oddball equipment to supplement the Doughboy display.
Have some extras? I help friends fill out their living history kit, and could always use more loaner gear!

I don't know where these came from all of a sudden; I saw two for sale at the Raleigh Militaria Show this weekend, one for $225 (no sling) and one for $250 with a sling (if I remember correctly). Before that I've not seen any for sale.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

If the sling dates to WWI or earlier then depending on condition it could be worth $60-100. But it really depends on the condition of it and if it's dated.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.