Corporal Ameen Solomon

devildog34

Raidercollector

Kevin

What a story, And unbelievable research you did on this find marine. How did you find out so much about this fine marine that fought for our country. Thank you for sharing his story. I enjoyed reading your research all the time when you post on WW2 marines,

Nick

That's an incredible story...I'm amazed at how much intricate detail you were able to find (medical records, exact vitals, etc). Thank you very much for sharing this marines story with us!

Alex

Thanks for all the kind words. As far as the research is concerned his service records, given the unique circumstances of his death, contained a lot of medical information. Very tragic as are all of these young men who gave it all. The research, as many have stated in other postings, is the vital part as far as I am concerned. Piecing the life and face behind the historical artifacts we accumulate and keep to ourselves serves such a vital role of rememberence when we dig and dig and dig to understand that these were young vibrant minds. Men with ambitions, goals, emotions, memories loved ones and put all that on hold to serve and for too many they never got to take their lives off morotorium and go on to fulfill those goals and ambitions, listen the the cry of a baby who will never be born, spoil grandchildren that will never be. Think of the potential, productivity that was lost with these young men who never got to live to realize that potential and with all conscious memories of these young men leaving us as their surviving siblings pass we inherit a greater responsibility to see to it that the horrific yet heroic way they left us never die with the increasing unconsciousness of subsequent generations. It almost brings tears to your eyes when you stop and really really immerse yourself in the thought.

Semper Fi

Makes you really stop and think what a medal, especially the PH, means. You see so many medals, uniforms, etc in collecting that sometimes you forget they represent a real, breathing person. The majority of them (the people) made it through their time in uniform and went on to raise families and enjoy life; but there were also those who were not so lucky.

Good posting - makes us all think a little more about what we gather together in our collections.

teufelhunde.ret

.... This is a microcosmic example that we truly are a melting pot and that all Marines are green some just a darker or lighter shade of green.

AMEN, we are only one color "Marine Green"

• 8 years later...
jdizzle117

I am new to the forum and not a military man myself, but I have the utmost respect for those who have served and sacrificed our country.  I am US Currency collector and a few years ago, I became really interested in Short Snorters from the WWII era.  And not just acquiring them and putting them away in a box, but also researching the signers and learning more about who they were, the lives they lived, and their courageous acts of service and sacrifice to our country as a way to honor their memory.  I recently purchased a new Short Snorter and while I was researching the name of the marine noted as the owner, Corporal Ameen Solomon, I stumbled upon this forum and this specific post... written to honor his sacrifice and his memory.

While this post was written a decade ago and last updated nine years ago, I wanted to post the Snorter here to help honor his memory and to offer my gratitude to the original poster, @devildog34, for such a thorough write-up.  Based on this post, it appears that this Snorter was signed for Corporal Solomon on a flight from Espiritu Santos to Honolulu while he was being transferred to the Naval Hospital in Aiea Heights, Hawaii.  I look forward to researching this Snorter to identify the signers who were with Corporal Solomon at this time in his life.  RIP Corporal Solomon... your memory will live on with me and your story of bravery and sacrifice will be told to anyone I get a chance to share this Snorter with.  

Fr_SS_1608_Ameen-Solomon_1944-11-30_A51647118C_raw_02.jpg

Fr_SS_1608_Ameen-Solomon_1944-11-30_A51647118C_raw_01.jpg