What is this buckle?

Hessian

suwanneetrader

These are attributed to being Imported from England prior to the CW and has an "S" shaped snake to attach to the two pieces so sword belt could be put on. Yours is gone but I've seen some with a heavy brass S hook being used when the ornate snake was gone. Richard

Actually these are U.S. Made and quite Rare. They date nearly 30 years before the Civil War and were made to fasten the buff M1832 Artillery Sword Belt. They were made by Robert Dingee of New York in 1832 for 3000 Artillery Belts ordered by the U.S. Government. They were found to be too fragile for sustained field use and replaced by the sturder two piece U.S. belt plate in 1839.

Below is three web sources. As to authenticity, It does look good with appropriate detail and age. However I believe Hanover Brass does make replicas's of these as they are very good. I have not handles one so I cannot comment on its authenticity. There is not many early U.S. Mailitary Collectors on the Forum (Civil War or before) and unfortunately many Early Militaria Collectors have not quite come into the Computer age!

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dingee-belt-plate

http://rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/56/lid/3061

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/scarce-...-1-c-791ae20196

Terry in Colorado

Richard and Terry

Wow, thanks a lot for the info. This came out of a very old collection and I took a chance on it just because it looked so unique and well constructed. Thanks for the info again guys.

Best regards

suwanneetrader

Terry you are correct. I guess that is what I get from trying to use my memory. At 74 what memory !! Ha Ha :lol: So I dug out Dorsey's book American Military Belts and Related Equipment. Here is a picture. Oh well I was close. Richard

post-15934-1348107736.jpg

Richard, I do it myself. My mind gets cramed full of all of the different models, types, sub types,Mk's and what not. Have to look it up before mentioning anything. I am amazed so many on here keep it together. I like the sword style (The M1832). I have a 1834 dated artillery sword my self with the original scabbard and the later M1839 Belt. Great looking set up but heavy for the period artilleryman.

Back to the belt plate. Looks good to me. If I can dig out my M1832 Sword I will post a picture. Forgot were it is and I am 32!

• 1 year later...

Sadly, the details are subtle, but I am pretty sure this is a fake. This is one of a series of reproductions made by Bannerman's in the mid 20th Century. What little I know of the repros is they were probably made on original dies. Because of their age (some say 1930's, some say 1950's) and the high quality of these, they are very often mistaken as originals, even by some top collectors. Here are two dead give aways. 1. The back should be hollow. 2. The loops of the "S" hook should be cast, not bent.

The last give away is that if you look very closely on the eagle side, about the 11 o'clock position on the outer circle, you will see a slight imperfection and line extending to the belt loop.

Chris Fischer

F-Troop

post-6873-0-88037900-1392757495.jpg