Killed in action 68 years ago at Peleliu

devildog34

This one came to me by a forum member and has been listed before but I had to dig a bit further and see what additional info could be had regarding this Marine's sacrifice.

Steven J. Glaud was born June 27, 1923 in Carnagie, Pennsylvania to Polish immigrants. He was a child when he and his mother moved to Michigan settling near Hamtramck, Michigan. As a teenager he attended the public schools in Hamtramck. While in school he played football, basketball and baseball. He also boxed and was an avid swimmer. He worked part time for the A and P Tea Company as a butcher. After graduating in 1942 he attended college for a year where he took Algebra, Chemistry and mechanical drawing. On April 20, 1943 Steve enlisted in the Marine Corps. He was sent to MCRD San Diego and went through recruit training with the 4th Recruit Battalion. After completing recruit training he was assigned to headquarters Co. Telephone signal training battalion and after only 3 days was reassigned to Co. E Infantry training battalion August 1, 1943. He completed the course and became a machine gunner. He was then assigned to the 27th replacement battalion on 15 October 1943, joining Co. C 1st Bn 1st Marines in 4 December of that year.

post-2182-1347850181.jpg

In the predawn hours of Sept. 15, 1944 the 1st Marine Division was up assembling for the amphibious assault of Peleliu while heavy 16-inch guns of the naval landing forces began pounding the island from very close range of 1,000 yards off shore. By 0750, the guns silenced in order for carrier-borne planes to begin strafing the beachhead and bomding targets inland. The guns resumed their bombardment inland which included a massive barrage of white phosphorous shells in order to create a massive smoke screen for the landing forces. By 0800, most of the landing forces had boarded the LVT's and or LCVP's and were prepared to land. The LCVP's that were to be used were to be brought up to the reef's edge and a transfer to the LVT's conducted, similar to the plan laid out at Tarawa.

The 1st Marines had as its target White Beaches 1 and 2, and the assault waves hit these approximately on schedule: 2d Battalion on the right on White Beach 2 at apx. 0830, 3d on the left at White Beach 1 at apx. 0830, with the 1st Battalion to come in behind them at about 0945 as regimental reserve, prepared to participate in the left turn to the north by attacking through the center of the regiment and seizing the high ground to the north of the beach. As the 2nd and 3rd battalions of the 1st Marines hit White beaches 1 and 2, they found that the jagged coral ridge dominated the terrain just off shore and slightly inland.

On the right of the regiment's landing, the 3rd battalion 1st Marines led by Lieutenant Colonel A. C. Shofner, pushed inland. Shofner had been assigned to the 4th Marines at Corregidor and managed to escape a POW camp. After hitting the beaches at Peleliu, the battalion suffered a huge loss when the battalion's XO, Major Robert M. Ash, was killed when an enemy round struck the LVT carrying him and most of the battalion's field phone equipment which complicated an already precarious communications problem. The battalion had run into withering enemy fire from a high ground just to the north of White Beach 1 infamously known as "The Point" This area was an elevated coral ridge, heavily vegetated and concealed strong enemy machine gun and mortar positions honeycombed inside it that pounded the landing beaches. The battalion could make no more than about 100 meters progress after their 0832 landing. The few tanks that made it ashore (Only 3 of the initial 18 had not been struck but luckily most of those struck suffered minimal damage since the rounds hit in the shallow water minimizing the damage) were unable to move in after they ran into a tank deep wide anti-tank ditch.

By 0945, the 1st battalion of the 1st Marines had begun to land. Company A 1st Bn 1st Marines were committed earlier than anticipated, in order to support 3rd battalion pinned down on White Beach 1 south of the point. Company B 1st Battalion 1st Marines would follow in the early afternoon. During the late afternoon a Japanese tank counter attack swept southwest straight across the 2nd battalion 1st Marine's position. The tanks were pounded by enfilading fire and quickly eliminated. One enemy tank rolled into a swamp and as the crew attempted to escape they were blown to pieces by the withering fire of the 2nd battalion 1st Marines who were anxious to reciprocate.

By the afternoon most of the 1st Battalion 1st Marines had made it ashore in order to support the attack on the point to the north. 3rd battalion had suffered heavy casualties and throughout the day mortar fire blanketed White Beach One. During that time in the afternoon after Company C had landed Private First Class Steve J. Glaud, while in position near the point was killed when a mortar round landed nearby. He suffered multiple fragmentation wounds from the blast.

post-2182-1347850468.jpg

White Beach today, likely the northern most point of White Beach 1. The point would be beyond this vegegation where the beach folds back in the foreground. It's grown back vigorously in the intervening 68 years since the heavy pre-invasion shelling has subsided.

post-2182-1347852036.jpg

Image of the landings by 1st Marines. White beach 1 and 2 were the northern most landing beaches for the Marines on D-day at Peleliu. "The Point" is the region or nub sticking out just along the O-1 line. Glaud was likely killed just between the 1/1 landing point and the point.

post-2182-1347853036.jpg

Very sobering to read of these men.....their sacrifice. It is good that a Purple Heart, a mere symbol, will be carried on in the future by us and all appreciative people who will remember the past and future generations......

• 2 weeks later...

Steven John Glaud was my maternal uncle. He was a younger brother to my mother. A few years ago, his engraved purple heart was stolen from my cousins house. Apparently the purple heart has been sold at least twice since then. We would like to get it back, not sure who presently has it, It has great sentimental value as a true reminder of how my uncle was. He was a true American hero and is clearly remembered in my family. I can give my address and email address if needed

Jim