Help needed to period ID officer EGA

cbuehler

Folks,

Would like others opinion as to what period the ega on the right is from. Pictured on the left is my known ww1 era example for comparison. The eagles are almost the same, but close examination show they are in fact very slightly different. The other differences are way the rope is wound around the haft of the anchor and the continents appear to be seperately applied on the right ball as opposed the left ball. Also, the angle at which the anchor is attached is different.

Is this right example another ww1 era variant or a later piece? Thanks much!

CB

post-643-1347812155.jpg

This version was used for almost 30 years and has many slight variations in construction and materials. That is why I don't assign "patterns" to EGAs, the variations are just too many. This has been labeled a P1914 by some, but you show one made during WWI and another probably made in the early 1930s. Fred Briuer has done a study of photos and assigned a matrix of years/periods of use for EGAs that hopefully he will share in a book.

S/F,

Mike

Thanks much Mike,

I think I may agree with you with regard to assigning pattern dates. My ega in question on the right is without doubt pre ww2, but just when would seem rather difficult to pin down. Any more feedback would be appreciated.

CB

Another person who is familiar with ega's has suggested that the one on the right may be closer to 1920. Does anyone out there have another one exactly like this?

CB

with these there's no way to pinpoint it down to an exact decade, esp with no markings. It would be correct on a cover from the 20s or 30s