The Captain and the Major General

renfield

post-5349-1347753801.jpgI am not sure if this is the place for this story, and I am not sure if it will interest anyone but here it is. As I have posted before my father was killed in Viet Nam in 1965...I was 5 years old. Most of what I know of him came from recollections of people who knew him. My mother told me this story when I asked about the 2 star generals plate. It is one of those items that I always had for as long as I can rember. I never thought much about it. This is the story of how an infantry captain ended up with a major generals car plate.

At the time we were living at Fort Riley KS and there was a big inspection by the 2 star (I have no idea who he was) and putting on a show for him. The troops were in the field when the general stopped by. Family history has it that dad offered the general a canteen cup of coffee. Well the general was offended that someone would think he should drink from a canteen cup! He gave my dad a taliking too and embarassed him in front of his men. Dad came up through the ranks as a private, NCO and went to OCS and his men respected him for it. As a young captain he knew he should stay out of the way of a general officer and lay low until the big shot left.

Well later that day he learned through the grapevine that one of his men had swiped this very 2 star plate. There was going to be one mad major general on base. He searched the barracks before the offical shake down and found the plate. Now what to do with it. There was no way he was going face the general again, and he did not want one of his men to get into trouble over this. So he brought it home and stuck it in his desk. There it stayed many years until I found it.

Steve

post-5349-1347754522.jpg This is a picture of my Father about the time of this story. He is on the far left. Most of this photo album was destroyed in a flood a few years ago. I salvaged what I could. I hope some of you veterans can relate to the story about a Big Shot General throwing his weight around. The picture has some good field equipment in it.

Steve