Can you ID these? grave markers?

ac106

Saw these at a garage sale today. Wondering what they are. Was thinking someone stole them from a cemetery or something. kinda creepy

thanks guys!

post-56384-1347729936.jpg

post-56384-1347729944.jpg

post-56384-1347729932.jpg

Not necessarily...notice the upper arms are bent inward...a lot of cemeteries will not bother moving these when they mow around the graves...so it's not uncommon to see them bent and broken. I have a guy that brings me them from time to time...he's made it a project to visit cemeteries with Civil War soldiers buried there and will remove and replace the damaged ones...but he doesn't want to throw the old markers away so he brings them to the museum...I've got a box of them stored away...

Mark sends

They have the same shape as the GAR markers, which make sense veterans of the civil war 1861-1865 became members of the Grand Army of the Republic G.A.R. a veterans organization untill there last member died. Then American Legion was formed in 1919 for WW1 veterans the the VFW for WW2 and all after. It a crime in most states to remove these markers.

They do have value. GAR markers go for about $75 each. I always check the outer banks of old cemitarys they always throw them over the banks along with everything else the grounds keepers dont want.