Navy planes

snafu100

some pictures I got from my brother back in 1971 - pretty cool shots I thought

post-8504-1347628846.jpg This aircraft is a WACO XJW-1 and most likely being fitted with the airship hook up system as the USS Macon Airship carried these aircarft along with the type in the second photo the CURTIS XF9 C2

post-8504-1347628877.jpg

post-8504-1347628917.jpg

post-8504-1347628938.jpg

post-8504-1347629068.jpg in this photo these aircarft are Boeing F-4B2 of VF-6

post-8504-1347629091.jpgThis aircraft I believe is a Douglas Dolphin of the RD-1/2/3 type

post-8504-1347629121.jpg I believe this is the USS Macon , possibly Ackron

post-8504-1347629150.jpg

I'm not a Navy guy, but these are super-groovy... especially the Sparrowhawks, but then I'm somewhat biased! =P

Fade to Black...

Wonder which airship(s) you have there? I've got a couple little pieces of the Shenandoah's cloth skin.

That would take some searching to figure out what Squadron/s they may be from, they Navy had quite a few "ZP" unit's back then , it looks like the same hanger/s in the distance where the Macon/Ackrom were based , so possibly whatever ZP/s that were based there at that time , great shot of them , it could be all from one unit .

Johnny

That would take some searching to figure out what Squadron/s they may be from, they Navy had quite a few "ZP" unit's back then , it looks like the same hanger/s in the distance where the Macon/Ackrom were based , so possibly whatever ZP/s that were based there at that time , great shot of them , it could be all from one unit .

Johnny

After doing a quick search about Moffett Field I found that ZP-32 was based there , thier first "Blimp" unit , so most likely this is the whole squadron in flight , thier unit emble was a Disney design , it had a cartoon mouse wearing goggles sitting atop a bunch of colored baloons and holding and aerial bomb over water below him .

Johnny

My dad was an airship rigger and crewman for seven years and did a couple of carrier landings and refuelings. One time they were in line behind a blimp that had a ring on a handling line snag on a gun mount on the carrier. The blimp went into the water.

My dad was an airship rigger and crewman for seven years and did a couple of carrier landings and refuelings. One time they were in line behind a blimp that had a ring on a handling line snag on a gun mount on the carrier. The blimp went into the water.

Do you know what Blimpron he was with ????????????????? (ZP-?)

Johnny

• 11 years later...
Vahe Demirjian
On 9/15/2012 at 2:45 PM, Johnny Signor said:

"ZP" is the "tecnical" term for "Blimpron"

Johnny

ZP was the abbreviation for "Airship Patrol Squadron".