Gas detection Armband good or fake ???????

IVY

Looks good to me. I have a number of originals and they all have the same markings and maker (the date might be different but font is the same) and the wear looks similar too. Nice find! Jim

Even though I'll probably never find one, could someone enlighten me on how these can be told apart from a repro?

Easy. The repros don't turn pink when exposed to vesicant gases! ;)

If you handle a repro (like the ones "Soldier of Fortune" sell) they have a stiffness/newness about them that distinguishes them from old originals. Very few, if any, have survived in that smooth, unwrinkled condition. Mine was found in a British gas-mask bag. It's in good shape, but easy to tell from a repro "in the flesh".

Not many people would think to make one dated August 1944 either.... after that all-important event 2 months earlier before which everything must be dated for it to be worth anything.....

;)

• 1 year later...

I can have this gas detection armband but not sur if legit or fake !!!!

what do you think ???????

kgrhqr10.jpg

kgrhqz10.jpg

t2ec1610.jpg

There is a photograph form ETO, taken on January 22, 1945, where the US AAA guner still wears gas brassard.

ThompsonSavage

These are my two late-44 made brassards: one 9/44 and one 10/44.

Can't recall ever seeing a 1945 made one, don't know if the British were still producing them that late.

post-45626-0-94057400-1385455585.jpg

• 7 months later...

Most of the ones on the market come from one source in the UK. A guy found a bail of them a while back (pre SPR) and slowly sold them out into the collectors market. This is why so many have the same markings and date.