EGA's Marine Mounted Detachment, Nicaragua 1928

kanemono

Here is a picture of the Marine Mounted Detachment in La Paz Centro, Nicaragua in 1928. They are part of the 48th Co., 2nd Bat., 5th Marine Reg. The Gunnery Sergeant in the foreground is John J. McKenna. The Officer on his right is Capt. Chaplain G. Hicks The CO whose name I think is Captain Harlen Pefley is on their right. You can see the EGA's on the officers saddle blankets. This is a picture from a group of photographs I bought of the Mounted Detachment in Nicaragua. In the Ancestry.com muster rolls Gunnery Sergeant McKenna is one of several NCO's listed as the NCO in command of Mounted Detachments. The others are Sergeant Albert A. Budai NCO in charge MD Paso Caballos, Sergeant Ernest E. Fritts NCO in charge MD Quezalguaque and Sergeant John A. Houghtby, NCO in charge MD Amaya. The officers must have their personal saddles and saddle blankets with the leather EGA's. I am interested in the Mounted Detachment at the American Legation in China and I think these photographs of the Mounted Detachment in Nicaragua during the same period fit in beautifully. None of the leather stirrup covers have USMC embossed, the same is true for the MD in China during the same period.

Dick

post-9487-1347550035.jpg

post-9487-1347550042.jpg

post-9487-1347550052.jpg

suwanneetrader

Have you ever seen saddle blanket with EGA like this for sale? It would take up alot of room to display but maybe could be folded and other items be on top of it. Your est of value ?? $150 - $200. ?? I'm guessing Richard